Winter In Dordogne


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
January 10th 2009
Published: January 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Winter In Dordogne



The owner of this gite said to me that some people find it too quiet.

Sandra went to read in the sun on the patio while I wandered around the property. A chainsaw was buzzing in the distance, a hen next door was particularly pleased about something and was clucking noisily, one of the miniature horses across the road snorted while another slurped water from a blue bucket. It was anything but quiet however, the sounds were distinct. You could distinguish each individual sound.

I don't understand the seasons here as it is only the tenth of January yet there are plenty of plants budding or flowering - what we would call "the signs of spring". Snow Drops are ready to open, flowers have buds set to explode, trees have that special tinge of green.

We are each getting over the French flu and will be ready to explore come Monday. The International Truffle market is to be held in Sarlat, January 16 and 17.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



11th January 2009

Sarlat in Winter
Interesting to see your surroundings at this time of year, and to read your comments. I was going to give you full marks for omitting all reference to food until (oh-oh) I read about the global chocolate contest. But those truffles are great little confections, aren't they? Keep enjoying yourselves, and keep the blogs coming.....
11th January 2009

Truffle Fete
Ah Bill... still time to revise your grading. This truffle fete is not about confections. This truffle is "subterranean fungi of the genus Tuber" which is only, coincidentally, edible. Hardly can be considered food.

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb