I have pictures!


Advertisement
Estonia's flag
Europe » Estonia » Tartu
September 8th 2007
Published: September 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

View from windowView from windowView from window

This is the view I get from my window. It was one the of the very first taken when I arrived here.
Today was not a bad day. Nothing too adventuresome (sp?) happened. Cassie and I went to the main square for pictures today and received a pleasent little surprise. The whole square was turned into a market. They had everything you would need there. There was everything from fruits and vegetables to hats and scarves to even large rabbits. Cassie and I hoped that they were for pets and not for eating, but let's be honest. . . We picked up a rug for the room, Lord knows it needs some form of color in here besides our bedding.

When we came back we had the idea of going to the supermarket for some much needed food, like the beloved Qwex cereal - seriously, one of the best things ever. But that never happened because Cassie was bound and determined to at least listen to her school's game today (WVU vs Marshall). After stressing for about a half hour or so, so finally gave in and paid for the radio broadcast. So we sat here like back in the day, listening to the radio (just over the internet and we could see the plays from ESPN.com). Thursday they play again, so
Original layoutOriginal layoutOriginal layout

This is how the room looked when I first arrived. I think it has a certain penetentary (sp?) feel, don't you?
we're going to stay up for that game (2 am our time) and watch with one of her WVU classmates who is also here. There are times you just need outside entertainment and this is the best as it gets since the FCC won't let ABC show full episodes online outside of the US. . . jerks.

But that's pretty much it. I'm going to try and put photos on here and I apologize if they're horribly out of order, I'm not quite sure how all this works. Love and miss you all!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

KitchenKitchen
Kitchen

Here is our lovely kitchen, before being cleaned and being overrun by glasses and food.
New layoutNew layout
New layout

This is our room now, including the new rug and the roommate that was not pictured before with the room, Cassie.
RuutliRuutli
Ruutli

This is the view from the end of Ruutli. Check out all the great colors that are used on the buildings.
Ruutli helmetsRuutli helmets
Ruutli helmets

This street, when translated, means "Knight's Street," the little blockades to keep the cars from coming onto the walkway are knights. They do it with other streets, too, but I thought you all would enjoy the knights.
AmphitheatreAmphitheatre
Amphitheatre

We found this while walking around the town not long after we arrived here. I just thought it was huge and needed to have its picture taken.
DinnerDinner
Dinner

This is the day that Anya cooked dinner for us. It was the first real meal Cassie and I had had in days. From left: Cassie, Mikkie, Anya, Bret.
The BridgeThe Bridge
The Bridge

This is the bridge I walk every day. That's Cassie on the right trying not to be in the picture.
The Bridge, againThe Bridge, again
The Bridge, again

This is the other side of the same bridge. . .pretty much the same as the other side.
View from bridgeView from bridge
View from bridge

This is the view from the bridge. Pretty much just a night club and a hotel. Oh yeah, and construction, just like home.
Raekoja PlatsRaekoja Plats
Raekoja Plats

This is the town square. This is from today and should give you a glimpse to see how many people were there.
Man with cat and accordianMan with cat and accordian
Man with cat and accordian

This is a man that was playing his accordian Saturday. That cat stayed up on that accordian the whole time. . . we were impressed.
St. John's ChurchSt. John's Church
St. John's Church

This is St.John's Church - or at least the back. It's one of the oldest buildings here, I think, and was just restored in the past few years. (If this was repeated, sorry.
Art MuseumArt Museum
Art Museum

This is the leaning building in Tartu. It's built on two different foundations which causes it to lean. It's now used as an art museum for the city.


9th September 2007

Penitentiary look
Unless you have a stainless steel toilet without walls around it, I would say the look is more utilitarian than penitentiary. Must be part of the architecture inspired during the soviet occupation.

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0678s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb