Belgium and our little CeeCee


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Brussels-Capital Region » Brussels
July 15th 2004
Published: September 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We flew from Sweden to Brussels Belgium, NATO headquarters. Once again our plane was full of young soccer players, can we ever get away from them? The airport there is very large and beautiful with all the announcements & signs in 4 languages making everything very easy for us. Once we arrived in Brussels we caught a train to Liege which is about 100 miles south of Brussels and where Cecile lives. Well really we had to catch 2 trains. In Europe there is usually a train station underneath the airports making it very easy for transport to and from the airport. No parking problems there! The airport was so big it took us about 15 minutes to at a fast walk to get from our gate to the train platform, that airport is big! The train to the main station left every 10 minutes so we were soon southbound. 15 minutes to the main station then changed trains for one headed to Liege and Cecile. We didn’t recognize Cecile when she came to pick us up at the station. She looks so French now! But still beautiful. She and her boyfriend have a home in a very old building in Liege with very high ceilings. We shared a late cold supper of meats, cheeses and breads which was very European and delicious. Thank you, Cecile, for letting us stay with you and most importantly, letting us sleep in your bed while both of you slept on air beds in the office.

We started out in Liege which is the starting point of the Tour de France bicycle race. Then we spent the day in Brussels famous for the fountain of the little boy who pees. On national holidays the statue is dressed up and since it was the National day of France he was dressed in a French military uniform. A very important fact we learned was about Belgian waffles. The Liege version tastes much better than the Brussels version and the US version is not even close. They made sure we got a full feel of the city and were wonderful tour guides. We had a great, but short visit, while reuniting with a dear friend. But, time to move on...

We had booked tickets on the high speed train to Berlin. They’re so quiet and smooth you can’t even tell when you’ve left the station. The top speed of our train was about 160 miles per hour, and we couldn’t even feel the movement. A very pleasant way to travel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 80; dbt: 0.0704s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb