AUSTRIA 25/6-27/6 & 19/7-23/7


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria
August 31st 2010
Published: August 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

AUSTRIA #1

INNSBRUCK

25/06/10

Today we arrived in Innsbruck and set up camp at Kranebitterhof Campground. From here we could look down into Innsbruck and behind us were mountain and a small glacier. Here it was suprising warm and the facilites were great and brand new.

26/06/10

Slow start today, managed to get some washing done. Then we went to Swarovski Crystal World which was pretty cool with all the different displays. Ended up buying some crystal jewellery. Then we went to the old town and saw the Goldenes Dacl (Golden Roof), which was built by Emperor Maximilian I in 16th Century as a display of wealth. We wandered through the Hofgarten Park and saw the imperial court palace.

27/06/10

Today we checked out Ambras Castle and its surrounding gardens then drove to the Dolomites in Italy

AUSTRIA #2

19/07/10

VIENNA

This morning we caught the bus to Vienna city centre. First we had a quick look at Stephansdom (St Stephen's Cathedral), then we took the subway to the Hofburg Palace but just looked at the outside. Next door was the Museum of Natural History which of course Mike really wanted to look at. Inside looked like the setting of Night in a Museum and it was full of fish, frogs, lizards and the remains of extinct fossilised animals, dinosour bones, stuffed birds, astroids and rocks. We then caught the subway to Schloss Schonbrunn, the Habsburgs 1441 room summer palace. Inside were luxurious apartments that are still furnished and outside are lovely gardens and a massive glass house. As it was getting dark we headed to the Prater amusement park which was full of great rides and lots of flashing lights. It also contained the Riesenrad, and old giant wheel.

20/07/10

AUSTRIA TO HALLSTATT

This morning we visited the Schmetterling Butterfly House which was pleasant. From there we drove to Hallstatt which is situated in the Salzkammergut Lakes District. which is been inhabited for over a millenia and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The pretty village is squeezed between the mountains and a lake and exists and was made wealthy by the salt mines in the mountains. Salt was important back then and was known as 'white gold'. You can take a funicular and visit the salt mine.

21/07/10

HALLSTATT TO SALZBURG

Today we drove to Salzburg. We arrive at Camping Nord-Sam in the late afternoon, allowing time for a swim in the pool and dinner.

22/07/10

SALZBURG

This morning we did the original 'Sound of Music' Tour and the hill were alive with the sound of music. We saw the pavillion, the Van-Trapp family backyard and lake, the palace that was the outside of the house, the abbey, the church where Maria and the Barron got married, the lakes and mountains in the opening scenes and the Mirabella gardens. After the tour we explored some of the city centre, including Mozarts House then took the funicular up to the castle-fortress Festung Hohensalzburg, which was built in 1077 and was home to many archbishop-princes.

23/07/10

SALZBURG TO GERMANY

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKE! We started the day by returning to the Hellbrunn Summer Palace where the pavillion is located and did a tour of the palacve and its trick fountains, where we got a bit wet! Afterwards we started driving towards Germany.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.323s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb