Quick tour round the Virgin Islands


Advertisement
Published: February 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Up at crack of dawn
Coral World and Island Drive
Stinking hot outside!

Today’s port of call is to St. Thomas in the US Virgin Islands. We had to clear US immigration by 7:15AM so we were up and ready by 6:45AM. It’s amazing that the three of us were up and at ‘em and ready to go on time. Pretty impressive since the last few days we’ve been such slow and lazy bums.

The immigration process was quite quick and painless. First we picked up our passports that Royal Caribbean has been holding for us and then we lined up to see an immigration officer. The woman I got asked me two questions. Where do you live and when you do plan on going back to Canada. So lickety split we were ready to head off for some delicious breakfast at the Windjammer before heading out on our St. Thomas tour.

Our three hour tour started with a drive across the island to the Coral World Underwater Observatory and Marine Park. The underwater observatory is basically a three-story tower with the lowest level of the tower providing a view of specimens from the open sea including colourful tropical fish and some coral formations as well. They also had Sharks on display, a touch pool and there was this one “killer” attack fish that we encountered.

After our visit at Coral World we took a short drive around the island and took in some of the spectacular views of the other Virgin Islands and we could see our ship as well. It was interesting to see all of life boats out. Christie had mentioned that they had to run a few safety drills while we were in port in St. Thomas. Apparently she is in charge of driving one of the boats but gets her second mate to park the boat…Too funny.

It was only a morning tour so we walked back to the ship afterwards. Laura and I had lunch on the ship up in the Windjammer while Alice and Christie decided to have lunch with one of Christie’s friends at a Japanese restaurant. Laura and I weren’t keen on having Japanese in St. Thomas since we’re a bit spoiled in Vancouver where we have some of the best Japanese food outside of Japan…at least that is our opinion! Plus we didn’t want to shell out the big bucks for a Japanese lunch that we didn’t think we’d enjoy too much.

Anyhoo, Laura and I went out to do a bit of shopping after lunch. Boy was it hot out there! It really made me feel super lethargic. We were only out shopping for about an hour. When we got back to the ship I ended up taking a three hour nap! Yikes!

There’s nothing too eventful to report on about the evening…just a lot of eating, cruising around, eating and watching TV and movies. Wonder Woman!!! I can’t believe I used to think this show was so cool. Mind you, I was probably about 4 or 5 or something like that when this show was popular. lol



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb