St. Kitts...... Brimstone UNESCO, Bars & Beaches


Advertisement
Published: December 19th 2023
Edit Blog Post

After a thoroughly enjoyable time on Nevis with our friends, we packed it up and headed out to take the Sea Bridge ferry back to St. Kitts to finish our time in these small islands. This ferry leaves Nevis at 7am, Noon and 5pm. We didn’t want to take a chance of missing it after our adventure a few days before on St. Kitts, so we arrived early. As a matter of fact, we drove over to the dock the afternoon before to make sure we could find it as we had arrived in the black of night a couple of days earlier. Signage is greatly lacking....no, it actually does not exist so we made a test run. Arriving one hour early the next morning and first in line, we waited eagerly for this ferry ride as we enjoyed it so much on the ride to Nevis. This trip was our first ride this type of military vehicle known as Landing Craft Medium (LCM). With great care and experience the ferry crew gave direction in how to back onto the vehicle to maximize capacity. On this return voyage there were two good size commercial trucks that swayed way a little too
Landing Craft MediumLanding Craft MediumLanding Craft Medium

Our ferry to and from Nevis
much for our comfort as our rental car was parked next to one. The ferry crosses a small channel that not only separates Nevis from St. Kitts, but also is also where the Atlantic and Caribbean meet. It gets a bit choppy and breezy here at times and we got to experience that on a seemingly calm and sunny morning. The rocky sea caused the cars to sway in a rhythmic fashion. We were thrilled that a couple of inches of air stayed between the sides of the vehicles and no damage was done by the swaying vehicles. After disembarking, we headed on to our new digs at the Timothy's Beach resort, which is one of a handful of places on the island that is actually on the beach. The property was a bit dated, but served us well for the next couple of days.

Visiting Caribbean Islands was a large part of our life early in our marriage. We didn’t get a lot of vacation time so we would take off and go scuba diving for a week or two on one of the islands each year. We did that for years, so we’ve been to more than a few Caribbean islands. We love that each island is so unique and different and has its own personality. We had read that St. Kitts and Nevis are the smallest nation in the United Nations and indeed we found that to be true. These are small islands are perfect for people who want to lay by the pool, swim in the sea and enjoy water sports. Outside of that, there's not a lot going on this small volcanic-formed isle.

A highlight for us on St. Kitts was a drive to Black Rocks on the northeastern side of the island with our friends. The stunning black volcanic formations decorate this lovely beach. The seas crash against the rocks and glisten in the sunshine. The views are well worth the short drive.

Both Nevis and St. Kitts have a ring road around the island. On Nevis, it takes about an hour to make the circle and maybe an hour and a half on St. Kitts. This is if you're not in a hurry. In reality, you can probably do it quicker if you don’t make stops. Mount Liamuiga is the highest point on St. Kitts with an elevation of 3,792 feet. It is ever changing with the clouds moving in and out and sometime surrounding the area. It is the simple things but we always enjoy islands with many goats wandering about. The locals we met on both islands were in the service industry and were extremely happy and friendly. They are very attractive people as well. There is something about the islanders that we admire as they don't experience that hustle and bustle of mainland life, so their outlook is quite different.

On our journey around the ring road, we stopped to look at a tug boat, which was busy rusting out on the shoreline. Looks like the vessel may have run aground years before and did not sink. It was just resting there with the waves slapping at it. Maybe a fierce storm was the culprit. It looked like it had been there quite a while and had no intention of moving.

On our drive around the island, we noticed a fort up in the hills. At this point, none of us were in the mood to visit the Brimstone Hill Fortress National Park. We retuned a couple of days later after our friends went on
Black RocksBlack RocksBlack Rocks

Volcanic
to explore other islands. We got up early and explored the fortress before the cruise ship passengers showed up. Being a UNESCO site, we should have known it would be worthy of the stop.

This restoration project has been going on since 1965. Traditional techniques have been used in the project as well as a discreet use of modern and traditional materials. The Brimstone Hill fortress showcases engineering from the 17th and 18th centuries in a Caribbean context. This was a British project built on the backs of the African slaves to protect the coastline from a sea attack. From a military perspective the elevated position provided an advantage and today it provides magnificent views not only of St. Kitts, but on this day, you could clearly see St. Eustatisus On a clear day, one can see the islands of Saba, St. Eustatius, Saint Martin/Maarten and Saint Barthelemy. We are glad we went back as we enjoyed the fortress, the museum and the views.

In 1623, St. Kitts was the site of Great Britain’s first Caribbean Settlement. Just as Nevis this island was populated for two hundred years with slave labor on the sugar plantations. Slavery was abolished
Enjoying Black RocksEnjoying Black RocksEnjoying Black Rocks

James, Andy, Sylvia, Kevin, MJ, Dave
on St. Kitts in 1883. A story often repeated throughout the Caribbean islands.

We enjoyed two days on St. Kitts after our friends left that allowed us to relax around the pool at our hotel and swim in the Caribbean. We had been quite busy since Dave's assignment ended a couple of weeks ago and it was good for the soul just to kick back and do a lot of nothing for a day or two. From our perch at the pool, we watched a group from the cruise ships go sea kayaking and another group rode off on small inflatable boats or zodiacs. While we were swimming in the Caribbean a dolphin swam slowly into the cove and allowed multiple people to pet him. He was traveling alone, and we are not sure he was healthy. He seemed in respiratory distress.

Both islands are populated with monkeys and mongoose. We saw two mongoose and one monkey but they moved too fast for photos. We will post a photo we took of a stuffed monkey while at the museum. LOL. We guess he didn’t move fast enough. There is a medical school and veterinary school if you want
Local VendorLocal VendorLocal Vendor

St. Kitts
to study in a warm climate.

We had a nice trip, but these two islands are rather unremarkable. Yes, they are lush and green but we like other islands that we have been to better. St. Kitts and Nevis are small and the perfect stop on a cruise which is not the case for many Caribbean islands… in our opinion.

As a side note, in December 2021, the Travelers Century Club (TCC) split St. Kitts and Nevis into two entities for our counting purposes. This decision was based on TCC’s federation rule, which admits certain constituent parts of federations. I’m not sure I completely understand the process or why Nevis qualified, but it had something to do with the TCC allowing for constitutional monarchies within federations.

It was now time to head home, but as is not uncommon in the islands, our flight was delayed some four hours out of Miami, so we made ourselves at home in the St. Kitts airport for a long stretch until our plane arrived. Ah....the islands....

Place we stayed:

Timothy’s Beach Resort – good location- you can walk to restaurants and bars.

Restaurants recommended:

Boozies at the
Margarita NightMargarita NightMargarita Night

At The Monkey Bar
Beach – our favorite

The Shipwreck

The Monkey Bar

Zanzi

Our previous blog:

Navigating Nevis


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

Carib BlueCarib Blue
Carib Blue

Local Brew
St. Kitts ArrivalSt. Kitts Arrival
St. Kitts Arrival

Sylvia, Kevin, MJ, Dave
Lovely smiles around the islandsLovely smiles around the islands
Lovely smiles around the islands

The joys of the Caribbean.
Lobster PastaLobster Pasta
Lobster Pasta

Boogies, St. Kitts
Manning the CanonsManning the Canons
Manning the Canons

Brimstone Hill Fortress
Dave is readyDave is ready
Dave is ready

St. Kitts
Angelican ChurchAngelican Church
Angelican Church

Nice stone architecture


21st December 2023

St Kitts
I really need to do a Caribbean trip I think. So many islands, so unique and distinct from each other. St Kitts seems slightly more happening than Nevis, although still a chill place to spend some time. Glad you were able to get some down time in after Dave's last assignment. It seems a trip that perfectly combined rest time, friend time, food time, and a bit of adventurous exploring on the side. Not to mention not just one, but now two, more TCC locations to tick off!
21st December 2023

St. Kitts
I believe you will enjoy the Caribbean. Each island has a different feel and personality. We've been to 17 Caribbean Islands and have enjoyed all of them. I do wish they had a better ferry system and flights between all of the islands. Most flights are expensive.
21st December 2023

Small islands
Thank you for taking your readers on this journey with you. I had no idea how small St. Kitts and Nevis are. Good that you were able to relax for a bit.
21st December 2023

Small Islands
Thanks for reading and commenting. They are relaxing islands. Hiking can be found if you want but the water sports abound. I knew these islands would be small but I was surprised how small.
27th December 2023
Our ferry

Our Ferry
Sometimes the ferry ride is the highlight of a trip. Glad you got a photo of yours just in case!
27th December 2023
Our ferry

Our Ferry
We do love a ferry ride. It is always good being in the islands.
1st January 2024
Angelican Church

I so want to visit the Caribbeans again
It was not so ago since we visited the Caribbeans last time. We went to Puerto Rico last year. But reading your blogs makes me want to go visit other islands too. We actually have plans to go to Jamaica. So if everything goes as planned we will get us another Caribbean trip in not too distant future. /Ake
1st January 2024
Angelican Church

The Caribbean again
You will enjoy Jamaica. I have not been here for years but would like to go back and I'd like to take a day trip to see Bob Marley's home in the mountains.
14th January 2024

TCC club counting system
We've got no hope. Oz is so far from anywhere!!!! .... and the whole of massive Oz counts as one destination (except I think for tiny Tassie), but two tiny islands in the Carribean count as two. Give me a break.....
14th January 2024

TCC club counting
The U.S. counts as 3 only because Alaska and Hawaii are so far from the mainland just as Tasmania. The territories are based on population and government. If you read the website it is explained. You've been to a lot of the locations and they have a group in Australia.
6th February 2024

Beautiful!
St. Kitts is definitely on the list!
6th February 2024

Beautiful
Thank you for reading and commenting. It is a quiet island with lots of water spouts to keep you busy.

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 17; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb