Glory Glory Man Utd


Advertisement

Firstly, i would like to publicly congratulate the might Manchester United FC for becoming this season champions. I doubt they have time to read our blog due celebrating but i feel it´s necessary to mention.

Following Nicks last blog, despite it only being a couple of days passing, i thought i would give you all a few more details. The fact that there is air con in the internet cafe is NOT the reason!

Nicks blog came after a hard couple of weeks, of which the hardest factor being the heat. Nicaragua is without a doubt the hottest country i have visited, and i have been to quite a few. I have never enjoyed cold showers before, and now you cant keep me out of them.

We arrived in San Juan Del Sur two days ago in the hope of a sea breeze. Unfortunately we have not been blessed. We checked into the only hostel, and an 8 bed dorm, i can tell you now i am not a dorm girl...private room yes...dorm no. However Nick said we should try it for a night and save some money. I also believe the other deciding factor for Nick was the two blonde dutch girls checking into the same dorm. However what followed was one of our most memorable nights sleep, and not in a good way! Not only were Nicks dutch girl fantasies shattered by one snoring loudly and the other, when going for a wee in the shared bathroom and following through with wind that most men would be envious of, but the humid heat never stopped. The dorms had ceiling fans and as i was on a top bunk, in an attempt to stop the sweating i rotated approx every 30 mins in order to get air on all sides...i now know what rotisserie chickens feel like! and it didnt work!

That night was for us the last straw. I´m not sure if Nick mentioned, but probably the two worst nights were at Dennys Beach...THE WAKEBOARDING place..where Nick couldnt wakeboard because it would have been the equivalent of wakeboarding off the back of a motorised kayak! We arrived hot and sweaty (as usual) to be told that we had been put in the "rustic" accommodation as the Russian Embassy had booked out the other villas. I now associate the word "rustic" with cheap sh*t hole!

The room itself was made of canes, with a three inch gap from the floor and inch or so gaps between some of the canes. I personally believe that the only recent visitors to the rustic accommodation were the creepy crawlies from the jungle. When i arrived i was desperate for a wee, mid flow i heard a lot of rustling, thinking it was Nick messing around outside, i was somewhat shocked when a foot long gecko darted into the room, saw me, froze and then challenged me to a freeze off. Clearly i wasnt going anywhere! This was actually fairly tame in comparison to the nocturnal activities. An army of huge black ants had taken a route through that room that traversed the beds and half of the room. The spiders were the size of my hand and there was a whole merry mix of other creepies trotting around. I know they were classed as "rustic" but i didnt see why we should be part of an ant assault course. So after speaking to the owner, we were assured they would be sorted...this was done by spraying the area with diesel!!..not only did it not deter the ants, the fumes were horrific. We managed to stay 2 nights, Dave...the torch you gave us became the most important possession we had, as Nick undertook hourly spot checks under the beds and on the walls throughout both nights.

I am sure you would agree that even after just these couple of snippets, when we failed to get any sleep on our first night in San Juan some serious action was required. So in true Tracey and now Nick style, yesterday we checked into a hotel with kingsize beds, fully working air con and cable tv. We bought a bottle of local rum and mixers and proceeded to have a room party, and had the best nights sleep for a long time.

The transport strike it still going. Which i would just like to add caused a bit of an arguement with us, when over breakfast on the first day of the strike, Nick told me that it was their right to strike and if it wasnt for people that striked in our history we wouldnt be earning the sort of money we do now and would be earning peanuts (which to be fair is exactly what i earnt in my old job). And now a week on with the strike in full flow, and even the private transport companies being forced to stop travelling by the heavies...Nick has changed his opinion.

On the positive side we get to spend another night with air con. * Note to parents, naturally this is costly, therefore when we run out of money and ask for more, you should remember that you would much rather us to be safe and cool :o)

Lots of love
Tracey

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0726s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb