Cacao vs. chocolate a critical study


Advertisement

Anyone who has read the Green & Black's cookbook, Green & Black's Chocolate Recipes (http://www.greenandblacks.com/uk/green-and-blacks-kitchen/recipe-book.html) or Willie's Chocolate Factory Cookbook (http://williescacao.com/fine-chocolate/products/#books-and-gifts) or even the relevant sections of McGee on Food & Cooking (http://www.amazon.co.uk/McGee-Food-Cooking-Encyclopedia-Kitchen/dp/0340831499) or Larousse Gastronomique (http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Larousse-Gastronomique-Hamlyn/dp/0600620425) will, of course be familiar with the process of chocolate making, and how it's turned from a large berry, maybe slightly bigger than a mango into the recognisable product we know and love.

I've had the privilege of working with some of this raw material, at different stages and experiencing the varied tastes, smells, textures and processes involved.

I've handled the raw berry and tasted the pulp that surrounds the seeds inside (tastes like mango crossed with lychee), seen the seeds drying (for most of the cacao we've seen here it seems that they skip the fermentation step), ground the roasted dried beans to a range of coarsenesses and used the resulting 'raw' cacao to make brownies. At this stage the cacao is very bitter, grainy and nutty. Much less than half of the processes that go into chocolate-making have happened by this point but it's still a great material.

Obviously recipes that would use chocolate have to be adjusted for cacao, I found that a mixture of 70%!c(MISSING)acao and 15%!e(MISSING)xtra each of butter and sugar works well. See the graph opposite.

It's not the same, but it is good. The flavour is much nuttier, less refined, and more intense than using chocolate, and the texture is similarly nutty.

Just thought you'd like to know. That is all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



1st May 2012

Yum!
I bet those are some high grade Brownies!
10th May 2012

UPDATE
UPDATE After further baking investigation, we have found that unless you can get it ground really fine (which we haven't yet been able to) cacao doesn't really work for something as refined as truffles or pots de creme, where perfection is the key. Too grainy a texture. Definitely not something the French would approve of.

Tot: 0.307s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb