Isla de Ometepe
Background: The Pacific Coast of Nicaragua was settled as a Spanish colony from Panama in the early 16th century. Independence from Spain was declared in 1821 and the country became an independent republic in 1838. Britain occupied the Caribbean Coast in the first half of the 19th century, but gradually ceded control of the region in subsequent decades. Violent opposition to governmental manipulation and corruption spread to all classes by 1978 and resulted in a short-lived civil war that brought the Marxist Sandinista guerrillas to power in 1979. Nicaraguan aid to leftist rebels in El Salvador caused the US to sponsor anti-Sandinista contra guerrillas through much of the 1980s. Free elections in 1990, 1996, and again in 2001 saw the Sandinistas defeated. The country has slowly rebuilt its economy during the 1990s, but was hard hit by Hurricane Mitch in 1998.
Photos from Isla de Ometepe
Blogs from Isla de Ometepe
Latest Blogs from Isla de Ometepe
- June 8th 2013 Detoxing and my first ever volcanos.
by Words: 640 Photos: 4
- May 10th 2013 Day 34: Doing absolutely NOTHING in Ometepe Island
by Words: 656 Photos: 10
- May 9th 2013 Day 33: Travels to Ometepe Island
by Words: 897 Photos: 14
- March 9th 2013 Somos Nica!
by Words: 1773 Photos: 9
- February 19th 2013 Trapped on an island…on a lake…are you kidding me?
by Words: 1679 Photos: 15
- January 29th 2013 Monkeys & Hitchhiking Adventures!
by Words: 1427 Photos: 0
- August 21st 2012 Isla de Ometepe
by Words: 432 Photos: 18
- August 9th 2012 Isla de Ometepe
by Words: 1797 Photos: 28
- July 19th 2012 Volcanoes, volcanoes, and more volcanoes
by Words: 618 Photos: 15
- July 6th 2012 OK, we're blog slogs!
by Words: 1881 Photos: 18
- May 5th 2012 Isla de Ometepe & Granada
by Words: 1392 Photos: 12
- April 27th 2012 Cacao vs. chocolate a critical study
by Words: 324 Photos: 3
- March 15th 2012 Twin Volcanoes Rise From A Lake...
by Words: 494 Photos: 16
- February 26th 2012 What is that strange fruit on the tree?? Wait...those are the monkey's balls!!
by Words: 3264 Photos: 46
- February 24th 2012 Isla de Ometepe - time for some exercise
by Words: 2103 Photos: 26
- January 21st 2012 Ferry, Sunsets and Lake that Roars Like an Ocean
by Words: 342 Photos: 21
- January 21st 2012 Mountain Bikes, Pigs and Springs
by Words: 345 Photos: 18
- December 4th 2011 Nicaragua
by Words: 771 Photos: 41
- October 4th 2011 Back to Granada
by Words: 526 Photos: 7
- October 3rd 2011 Moyogalpa Fireworks
by Words: 325 Photos: 4