Volcano Island, Peace Island


Advertisement
Published: April 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Granada to San Carlos and the Rio San Juan


OmetepeOmetepeOmetepe

This the largest and most active volcano of the two: Conception.
We spent two days on the island of Ometepe, the Island of Peace, in the middle of Lake Nicaragua. We had hoped to take the boat from Granada, but found out we had to wait 4 hours for the next departure..the time we'd been given was the time the ticket office opened, not the time the boat left.

So we decided to take buses to the main port that connects to the island..mistake! We took a horse carriage part way to the bus station, dragged our bags through the public market, got to the bus which had standing room only for the hour and half trip to Rivas, where we would change buses for the port. I t was very hot and the bus was even hotter inside. Apparently the bus wasn't full enough, since they continued to pack people on til no one could move....

We made it the port without passing out, and evenhad seats before the trip ended. We took the ferry to the island, instead of the faster boat, because the taxi driver told us not to get on the smaller boat, which they overload like the buses... we watched them load up and decided
In the busIn the busIn the bus

It was at least 100 degrees in here, until the bus started moving!
to follow the taxi cab drivers' advice!

We stayed at a small resort next to a nature preserve, called Choco Verde. It is on the beach, with the biggest volcano behind it. We had a really nice bungalow for $25 a night...You can swim in the lake, which is muddy looking, and warm. I did go in a few times, but kept thinking of all the putrid rivers and steams we'd seen that end up flowing into the lake, and couldn't really enjoy the swim.

We were napping one afternoon, and were awoken by howler monkeys in the tree outside our bunglow! An errant cow would come past from time to time, and there were many birds and butterflies all around.

On our last day, we hired a guide, who spent the day taking us around the island. We visted a cooperative coffee finca, where there were ancient petroglyphs, the mountain spring, another beach and the town on the opposite side of the island from where we arrived. This is where we leave from tonight...




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Chaco Verde HotelChaco Verde Hotel
Chaco Verde Hotel

Our bungalow
Chaco Verde HotelChaco Verde Hotel
Chaco Verde Hotel

Horse on the beach
Chaco VerdeChaco Verde
Chaco Verde

One of the howler monkeys that woke us up!
Chaco VerdeChaco Verde
Chaco Verde

Getting ready for lunch....
Chaco Verde:  the beach at nightChaco Verde:  the beach at night
Chaco Verde: the beach at night

We walked down to the next hotel for dinner and came on the beach after dark. These large toads were everywhere!
Ometepe tourOmetepe tour
Ometepe tour

These are some of the petroglyphs we saw on a hike at the base of the Magdelena volcano. Ometepe was a sacred site for pre-Columbian people.
Ometepe tourOmetepe tour
Ometepe tour

This pool is formed with water from a spring..the water is crystal clear and cool (the lake water id warm)...a welcome relief from the heat...it cost a dollar to stay for a few hours....
Last stop in OmetepeLast stop in Ometepe
Last stop in Ometepe

This is one of the only statues from the island that is still on the island. The others are in the museum we visited in Granada. After this photo, we went over to the nearby church, where beautiful music was being played and sung. It turned out to be the end of a funeral for an elderly person. After, everyone walked through town after the casket.


25th April 2006

sounds nice
a little island get-away.... can't wait to see the pics. we had 70 degree weather here in Seattle..woo-hoo! we still miss you! fran

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb