Granada


Advertisement
Published: June 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Colonial City: Granada


Leaving Ometepe on local transport was surprisingly easy. We were able to have breakfast before heading out to catch the morning bus along the road (there really are very few and only one that the bus would take). That took us right into Moyogalpa to the port where we jumped on the small lancha that takes foot passengers and some cargo vs. the ferry that leaves infrequently but would take vehicles. One passenger was chatting up the captain and asked how often a boat sinks; he reassured us that only one in the last thirty-three years had gone down, without commercial passengers. We back tracked getting a taxi from San Jorge to the Rivas bus station and were whisked off toward Granada. One thing we've noticed and really appreciate on the Nicaraguan local buses is that the rate from end point to end point tends to be displayed inside the bus at the front. It helps a little when it comes time to pay having the correct change all ready and it's a good way to make sure you're not getting ripped off.

We made it to Granada rather late in the afternoon and being dropped on some seemingly random street instead of a bus station did not help us orient ourselves. Since it was a small busy street though we went unaccosted by people offering overpriced transportation. We got off the bus with several other backpackers and ended up following them as they took off in a direction. We were lead to a hostel that seemed plenty nice with a pool, including all you can eat breakfast, and free water refills (woot). That night was uneventful since we went out only to grab a little food at the local market as it closed. We did get a little rice empanadas snack while we were out from a street vendor; cheap and filling if a little bland.

Our next day was mildly more interesting in that we went out to climb La Merced's bell tower and get a good look over the city. Dan was most interested in how the blocks were set up. It seemed like it was all probably pretty logical at one point; a door onto the street went into a home/business that went directly back toward the centre of the square. Now many units have been combined in odd ways and it looks like there are individual houses in the middle of a block with no visible street access.

We wandered around town just trying to see what there is most of the day, visiting the poetry park (reading what ones we could from the shade) and old train station (cause who doesn't love trains and old-timey buildings?).

On our stroll back to Oasis we happened upon the Mombacho cigar factory and took the time for a tour. We had a rather knowledgable guide from Gibraltar who taught us not just about cigars, but some of Nicaragua's history. Much of the tobacco came down from Cuba. As production was on the rise from the U.S. embargo on Cuba the civil unrest in Nicaragua slowed production from 1978 until 1990. Then in 1998 hurricane Mitch wiped out much of the crop, even washing away the top soil of entire fields. We each got a cigar to try at some later date.

We stopped in at a chocolate museum/shop on the way back and grabbed a few bars to tide us over as desserts. When we were nearly back at our hostel we ran into an old friend that we did our open water certification with in Honduras, Cindy. We agreed to go meet back at the chocolate museum for some chocolaty drinks a little later.

We also spent a little time walking towards the waterfront for no real reason, but thinking we might see something about hiring kayaks to go around the 300 islands. Near the water there was a park, but it was so full of bugs we turned back and went the other way along the water. We wandered back up along the really gringo street and didn't actually stop to look at anything, so we can't tell you much about that other than the price of food was exorbitant. Going through the central park back to the hostel we spied Casey & Dan, the couple we house sat for in Costa Rica. We sat and chatted for a bit, hearing how Jack is doing. We had a swim at the hostel before heading back for more cold chocolaty drinks. The internet didn't work there so we had our drinks and went back to the hostel to do some 'admin' work; planning, journals, corresponding. Once we got tired of looking for a supper spot, we gave up and ate a surprisingly satisfying meal at the Hot Dog Connection.

Advertisement



12th June 2015

Familiar
So, you've been wandering around Nicaragua long enough to bump into familiar people. Really! Sounds pretty homey.

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb