When you think you've heard it all….think again!


Advertisement
Published: October 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

having a breakhaving a breakhaving a break

stunning looking girls
We must admit, it was difficult to get ourselves out of Isla Ometepe. Even though it is not the most stunning place we have ever visited, we really liked the vibe of it and we felt sad moving forward. Unfortunately our beautiful journey was coming to an end and we felt the time pressure more than ever. If not that, we would have probably stayed there for weeks, cycling around the island, soaking in sun and drinking those amazing $1 cuba libres.

We got trapped for one night (see previous blog), which was out of our control so in fact we got one more night at the island as a gift from mother nature. We always say that there is no point in freaking out about things you cannot change or control so we take the advantage of whatever situation we are in. The boat ride back to the shore was very ‘wobbly’, but we made it. We quickly caught $1 chicken bus to Granada, which was another place we were looking forward to see. If you say colonial to us – we are pretty much sold just at the sound of it. As usual we took our place at the back of a bus with our backpacks securely placed underneath the sitting bench. Some other travelers joined us but spent majority of the journey time worrying about their luggage on top of the bus.

Seriously, people have to stop panicking about the whole robbery issue – another thing we have almost no control over. I say almost as when were on that bus, we almost lost our camera bag haha It was placed between us on the floor and we were all sitting in the way that we could see it. At one of the many stops that the bus made I saw a hand reaching out for our bag in the corner of my eye. I looked at the guy, smiled and grabbed it. He smiled back and said he wanted to move it aside as more people were about to board. Perhaps yes or perhaps no, but staying alert at all times really pays off. You can imagine that our new friends freaked out even more about their luggage haha I think back in Asia we would have reacted in a similar way but somehow we have grown to accept it in Latin America. And again…smile goes a long way, really.

We made it in no time to Granada and walked confidently to the Hospedaje La Libertad. I say confidently as this is also a very good way to avoid anything happening to you in Latin America. If you look lost or disoriented you look like somebody who can easily be robbed. People say different things about this hostel but we liked it the moment we walked in. It was located in a beautiful courtyard, with very friendly staff and great vibrant atmosphere. The $20 room we took was huge, clean and comfy and conveniently located just next to the kitchen and communal area. So you can imagine it was easy for us to locate the room after late night drinking haha

Weirdly enough we did not do much in Granada. We don’t know if it is this place, really hot and humid climate or just us being changed a little. Of course we had to see the architecture and the beautiful parks and calle but apart from that we just enjoyed being with people. Surprisingly in Granada we have encountered many different characters and personalities and we really liked that. We heard stories of leaving everything behind to travel, of being at gun point in Honduras, of Israeli Army girls who broke free and enjoyed their time, of lost relationships and finding new love on the road. I remember us, sitting there and sharing our amazing story and we felt so proud and a little bit sad that we had just over a month to go. People said: ‘No way, you cannot go home. You have to continue.’…We cannot deny that it crossed our mind many times however as you all well know, there are always ‘buts’ and ‘whys’.

Money and being tired were the only two things that made us think somehow positively about going home. We can do it again, surely it is not over. We really liked the fact that so many ‘new starters’ wanted us to share with them our experiences, extraordinary stories and travel troubles. Were we the same 17 months ago? Sure we were….The students become the teachers one day…isn’t it right? Every day is a school day for us though. Every day we meet and speak to somebody who alters our path, weather we want it or not. We met this incredible girl – Magda (from Poland) who told us her amazing travel stories, one of them from Honduras where we were planning to go next. After hearing of guns and shots (she was attacked) and robberies we decided that maybe it was not for us. Don’t get us wrong, the ‘normal’ level of danger is ok with us but El Salvador and Honduras have really horrible reputation. She just confirmed our worries, that is all. And besides, if this visit had been at the beginning of our trip then we would have definitely gone for it. We really wanted to experience the pristine Bay Islands but risking loads of beautiful memories of this part of the world to be spoiled at the end did not seem like a great idea at the time.

Even though we did not go to see the volcano and we did not go to see the islands on the lake but still we have experienced plenty. There were some local celebrations going on in Grenada and we were lucky again to witness them. We just love the way people celebrate in this region and love the music, the atmosphere and the soul they put into this. It is somehow different to the way we celebrate in Europe. Luckily, as places and times like these make the discomforts and troubles of traveling soooo worthwhile. So after many many romantic wanders around the calles of Granada, many great eats at the Parque Central, Book Festival, many late nights with cuba libres and travel stories we finally decided to make a move. We did not want to, but again we had to get to Cancun in a month time, which was worrying.

Before we left though, we heard the story that made us believe in good people of Grenada. Yes they were hassling us a little bit, yes I was called at ‘Senorita, come with me’ whenever Tomek was a little bit too far from me and yes we almost lost our bag on the bus and people followed us all the time. However, what we heard from one of the great characters we met was amazing. Melanie was walking the market street with her friend who kept her purse in her hand. Suddenly a guy on a bike passes them by and grabs her purse out of her hand. He starts cycling. Melanie’s friend does not freeze in panic
Iglesia de la MercedIglesia de la MercedIglesia de la Merced

for some even more beautiful than the cathedral
but starts to chase the guy down the calle shouting to stop him in the same time (that is already one thing to be admired). People on the street suddenly join in and start chasing the robber. At once some old lady pushes her fruit cart into the cycling robber and knocks him down. He gets up, ditches the bike and runs away but not too far as other people knock him down and catch him before police and Melanie’s friend manage to catch up with him. She gets her purse back, people around are clapping their hands and the police is thankful as this guy has been robbing tourist like her for the past week. The old lady is proud the most of her move haha Can you imagine this happening in '1st World' where people are too busy or too ignorant to even look at the person sitting next to them on the bus?

We laughed so hard after hearing this that our stomach ached. We could not even wipe the smile of our faces that day and in this great mood, later in the evening we arrived in the beautiful Leon. However, that is another story….


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

away from crowdsaway from crowds
away from crowds

Iglesia de Xalteva


12th October 2013

Excellent stories, advise and photos!
You two certainly are lucky in coming across random festivals (here and Copacabana)! I loved Melanie's story, especially the fruit cart woman--an everyday hero. As usual, I love your accepting attitude toward things we can't change--should be the motto for all us travelers. Nicaragua looks great--so glad you're still posting!
13th October 2013

Hi Tara
We wish we could blog more often, really and we feel bad we cant find time but live here 'after' is just crazy mad haha All great and we cannot complain but nothing when compared to the freedom of being on the road. Keep your journey going as long as you can and enjoy:-) thanks for your lovely comments, B&T
13th October 2013

It's taking longer to post your blogs...
but please keep it up! I love reading about your adventures. You have a great attitude about adversity on the road.
13th October 2013

hi
yeah definitely we are very behind but work is taking majority of our time but hoping for improvement soon:-) cheers, B&T
14th October 2013

GRENADA
Our daughter was only talking today she's considering Nicaragua in 3 months time so your blog is timely. Love the vibrant colours and you write as if you enjoyed it. Do I perceive a recommendation?
14th October 2013

hi
Absolutely - we really loved the overall experience. The Corn Islands are still on our mind so please do recommend her this place:-) cheers, B&T

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb