Go with the flow...


Advertisement
Published: January 4th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our arrival in Leon was full of something … hard to say of what though. We did not know where we were when the chicken bus entered the town so we watched out for the cathedral. In the end it is the largest one in the whole Central America - hard to miss. With a large big church look-alike building in sight we hopped out of the bus. Little did we know at the time how many big churches actually there are in Leon.

We quickly discovered that we were still around 5 blocks away from the Parque Central which is the epicenter of everything going on in this town and where we wanted to be located for the next 4 to 5 days. We are usually great with maps but somehow this maze of little streets and colorful houses made us lost. We found the major sights but could not locate the hostel we wanted to stay in. We must have walked in circles, not joking. In the end we found the BigFoot Hostel which looked very appealing because of the pool (and it was boiling hot at the time) however we opted to stay just opposite in ViaVia. Why, you may wonder, as pool, parties and great atmosphere may seem like exactly the things we should have chosen?

Well, we had a hunch that is all. When you walk into ViaVia home-like atmosphere of great bar/dining area hit you. Very often they have live music over there and that is so much fun:-) Then you follow through to the chill-out zone with hammocks and bookshelves with great travel literature for you to enjoy around beautiful flowery courtyard. And only then you enter the living/hostel quarters which are also located around garden. Sounds great ha? It truly was. Our dorm was beautifully decorated with huge beds, soft sheets and private bathroom. And every morning and evening we could relax outside of the room on the patio.

There is plenty to do in Leon and majority of people come to this town to surf Cerro Negro – an active volcano nearby. We had an opportunity but 40C in the open space, black sand and thick ‘surf suit’ did not sound like fun to us. We were also invited to join the trip to the Las Penitas beaches but again we did not feel like it. Who said you should tick the list of activities available in a place you visit to make your stay memorable?

Instead of doing all that we opted for doing whatever we felt like. Kind of last chance for us as from Leon we were planning to enter the world of Mayan Temples so plenty of sightseeing to do. We would wake up very early in the morning (before 6 am) to have a coffee in the courtyard and enjoy mild temperatures of the day. Around 9 it was already quite unbearable to be outside to be honest. Before breakfast, we would also take a stroll through empty streets of Leon admiring architecture and street art. This place is pretty great to be honest even though it did not have the expensive makeover like Granada. Then we would enjoy beautiful cafe breakfast (great not to be cooking) and the day filled with relaxing and reading books. In the evening we would go to the Mercado Central for a street BBQ for 5$ (we even met the Israeli girls we spent so much time with in Granada), sitting on plastic chairs with a great view of the cathedral. Brilliant!

Then follow the cinema. Yes, the cinema was our guilty pleasure in Leon. We were visiting it every single day while there, enjoying new Hollywood productions in English, air con and big buckets of popcorn hahaha It reminded us our time in Borneo where we would do the same for a week. Back then we watched ‘Lincoln the Vampire Slayer’ and now ‘Lincoln’….and even though I appreciate the Oscar winning performance I still think the first one was more entertaining :-) We felt like on holiday - without agenda and really no pressure to see or do anything. Besides it has been a while since we had any ‘date-like’ evening. May sound insignificant but when you spend 18 months together 24/7 you do need a little bit of push for romance!

Of course we also had to make some decisions as time came to move forward. When we finally decided where to go we went to Tica Bus office and booked ourselves ‘guard protected’ journey to the capital of Honduras – Tegucigalpa. Call us crazy but we did not want any troubles at this point of our journey. The bus was leaving, or rather passing the stop, at Panamericana highway outside of the town which was not ideal. Somehow I did not like the idea of sitting on the side of a highway with all of our possessions at 6 am in the morning with nobody around. We quickly got company of coffee vendor and other travelers so it was fine. We keep reminding ourselves that very often the danger is only in our head :-)

So Nicaragua was great, we totally enjoyed it. Isla Ometepe was all about nature, Granada all about people and Leon only about us – perfect balance.




Additional Note - Summary of Nicaragua:


• 12 days, stayed in 3 towns
our favorite landscape: around Volcanoes on Isla Ometepe
our favorite activity: cycling around Isla Ometepe
our favorite hotel/guest-house: ViaVia in Leon
our favorite food: must be the amazing cheese tacos in Mayogalpa
our favorite thing about Nicaragua: the architecture
our total cost per day: 30£/48$ per day for both of us



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

enjoying European lunch enjoying European lunch
enjoying European lunch

in Panaderia Pan y Paz
beautifulbeautiful
beautiful

Inglesia de la Recoleccion


4th January 2014
top of the cathedral

A hot time in the old town...
Brilliant move to hang out and enjoy reading, the cinema and each other! Great photos under that beautiful, blue sky, but yikes--40 degrees in the winter! I love your summary of Nicaragua's highlights, and that we/you get to still enjoy your travels. Happy new year!
6th January 2014
top of the cathedral

hey
Hey Tara, thanks for reading as always:-) yeah now when we are in the grey and rainy England we can see the beauty of these colours even more!!! ah the 40C would not stop us from doing anything today haha But at that time it was the right thing to just relax and enjoy! Happy New Year to you too and we wish you loads of great months on the road to come!!! B7T
4th January 2014

Thanks for filling in the gaps...
Hope you are doing well, and have a Happy New Year.
6th January 2014

thanks
Happy New Year Bob and Linda!!! yeah, we have loads of these gaps still left:-) We will get there eventually as new trips are in plans and we want to blog about them too:-) thanks for reading, B&T
5th January 2014

I was hoping you'll write a new blog soon!. I'm looking forward to the rest of them and hoping for a summary blog at the end of it, they are my favourite! ;)
6th January 2014

Hello
Hi there denidax many thanks for that:-) Yeah I wish we could write more often but the boring stuff such as work life stand in a way hahha Yeah we will finish one day and will definitely write a summary - I do love them to:-) Thanks for reading, B
30th January 2014

It's incredible how the former empires of the world left traces on the territories they seized. That's why there is one Leon in Nicaragua and one in Spain and why Curacao's architecture resembles that of Netherlands.

Tot: 0.378s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 49; qc: 180; dbt: 0.2184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.7mb