Granada at the Oasis


Advertisement
Published: February 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

At Tapachula, on the way to the Mexican-Guatemalan border, we asked a stranger for directions. He turned out to be a Mexican who has lived in California, but now living in the area with his Honduran wife. Juan invited us into his small house and we met his wife Iris who is trying to get Mexican citizenship. We were warned about the gun-toting Guatemalans and the problems at the border. That night, before crossing, we stayed in a mistress motel (with air conditioning!) that Juan helped us to find.

We had the expected hassles at the border, the van especially taking a lot of paperwork. The Guatemalan countryside is beautiful, but quite littered with trash and election propaganda paint. We took the back road down into San Pedro on Lake Atitlan where indigenous people were everywhere in their traditional clothing. As the distances are relatively short, we are making a quick check of places to see when Lana flies down in March. We stayed in Antigua, which Lana will love, and Monterrico on the coast, which Lana would not like at all. We have just looped through Honduras where we have found pouring rain.

Since Lana wants some beach
Our fancy bedOur fancy bedOur fancy bed

These motels are usually rented by the hour!
time, and rainy weather is not great for scuba diving in Honduras, we´re thinking maybe we will take Lana to Roatan in March and do our diving then. Matt wants to do some more beach camping, and the best places seem to be in Costa Rica. We have decided to move south earlier than planned, and might eventually even get as far as Panama, as driving so far has generally been quite quick and straightforward.

At the moment, we have just arrived in Granada, the colonial city on Lake Nicaragua, and are staying at the Oasis, which gives us free internet and short international phone calls! The prices in this tourist town are a bit higher, but there are some extra benefits when we´re paying $19 a night I guess. Most places we´ve stayed in so far have been around the $10 range. Things are not as cheap as the Lonely Planet guidebook suggests, and definitely not as cheap as Southeast Asia, but money goes further here than at home for most things. Getting a tire fixed and put back on the van cost the same as a litre of gas, which is about a dollar.

Gotta go so take care until next time,
Grant



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

At the pinchazoAt the pinchazo
At the pinchazo

Quick and cheap tire repair!
Breakfast in AntiguaBreakfast in Antigua
Breakfast in Antigua

Our friend Collin from Vermont, who is in Guatemala filming bike trips for gym club stationary bike videos.
Coastal Guatemala countrysideCoastal Guatemala countryside
Coastal Guatemala countryside

Lots of Jacaranda trees!
Oops!Oops!
Oops!

So many old busses that something has to go wrong sometime!


22nd February 2007

I am feeling envious of the pictures of no shirts and tropical temps! Have fun and be safe!!! Ken, Patsy and fam.
24th February 2007

What an adventure!!
Nice to hear from you guys. What an amazing trip! Thanks for all the pictures. Glad to hear everything is going well. Take care. Joe
3rd March 2007

Looks Great
Hi Matt and Grant, at long last i have managed to get into your blog right.........i didnt know i had to click next journal......when Erika went i got an update to tell me a new blog was there........... photos are great, stories are great and it sounds like you are both having a great time... When ya gonna do an Australian expedition!!!!! C you then, Love pam

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb