Camping and the beach


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Oaxaca » Mazunte
February 13th 2007
Published: February 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The past week, Dad and I have been staying at a paradise beach called Playa Faro de Bucerias (Diver's Lighthouse). It is in the state of Michoacan and famous for being isolated from the rest of Mexico until twenty years ago. Supposedly there were bandits who roamed the hills but not anymore.
This beach is perfect for a quiet relaxing stay, if you enjoy camping. Dad and I set up the tent under a palapa in the midst of a few VW hippie vans. I caught a fish and filleted it for one of our meals.
The most interesting part of our stay was the fellow campers. We had a mix of characters that surpassed Alice in Wonderland. We got to know a few French Canadians, Americans and Mexican travelers.
Oscar, the Mexican, let me borrow his fishing line and I caught a 25cm fish. He talked about mezcal (the plant used to make tequila) and its healing purposes, his travels to Canada and Austria, and scorpions (one we killed at our campfire!). Oscar, his son Julio who is half Austrian, and I went to a beach beside ours and boogie-boarded on the strong surf. Julio is only
Playa Faro de BuceriasPlaya Faro de BuceriasPlaya Faro de Bucerias

Lighthouse on the rocks
five but can speak Spanish, German and some English. Erika would have loved him as he was pretty cute.
I learned to fillet my fish from an American guy named Patrick. He was a rough fisherman from Alaska. At the campfires we had each night, he would serenade us with his harmonica. Wow, I never thought anyone could be so passionate with the harmonica! Jokes and hippy ramblings were his specialty.
We met a French Canadian couple in a camper. Their names were Michel and Lucille. The other couple, Dave from Colorado, and Misha from New Zealand, enjoyed the talk and the ganja.
Jean, a French Canadian, told stories of his travels through Asia on a motorcycle and his adventurous life. I would be happy if I accomplished half of what he has experienced. I downloaded a monologue of eastern philosophy from his computer to my mp3 player.
I just may be turning into a hippy. Its time to wave my freak flag!
Right now we are staying in a guest house in Playa Mazunte near Playa Angel. It´s all right, but we are leaving tomorrow to head south again (Guatemala border tomorrow night). I had some good penne pasta from an Italian ex-patriot. Dad got the air conditioning fixed (halleluiah!) and not much else has happened here. The beach is average and fills up with local kids catching sardines and small fish to sell as bait. We are only spending two nights here. I guess if we stayed longer we might like it more but leaving it hasn’t pulled at the heart-strings like leaving Playa de Faro de Bucerias!

Matt



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Cooking hotdogsCooking hotdogs
Cooking hotdogs

Oscar and Julio
Filleting fishFilleting fish
Filleting fish

Patrick and Jean
Julio and his girlfriendsJulio and his girlfriends
Julio and his girlfriends

He's popular with the local girls
Fish and potatoes on the BBQFish and potatoes on the BBQ
Fish and potatoes on the BBQ

Patrick and Oscar cooking
Kids checking their netKids checking their net
Kids checking their net

Seagulls get the leftovers
Evening sunEvening sun
Evening sun

Palapas near Puerto Angel dock


14th February 2007

Hello from lethbridge
Hey guys! It looks like your having an amazing time..... We haven't been receiving the links from your blogs so i just went searching and happened to stumble on this! That beach is beautiful are you going to be in mexico for much longer? We are supremely jealous here in two feet of snow/-30 weather! p.s- did you recieve those emails i send you?
15th February 2007

Wow! interesting blog
Hey Matt, Thanks for your great description of your fellow travellers and the beach life. We are envious as we endure days and days of snow and temperatures to -21C. Miss you guys. Love, Mom
16th February 2007

Hi from Oregon
Hey Grant and Matt... Nice pictures! The lady in Lethbridge got me lined up with your travel blog...will be anxious to see more pictures!! Have fun!! Then come and do an Oregon blog sometime!!! love, Unc. D.

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb