Michoacan Coast


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Michoacán
February 5th 2007
Published: February 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Dealy PlazaDealy PlazaDealy Plaza

X marks the spot where JFK was shot.
Hello everyone,

This is Grant here to do the first blog. We had a fast trip to Dallas (it snowed while we were there!) and enjoyed our time with Jaime and Robert. Thanks again for your hospitality and Matt says he´s a better bowler after practicing with the Wii! And you´ll make great parents with upcoming junior! Thanks Rhonda too for everything.

Matt and I spent a few hours at the 6th Floor Museum in Dallas, which is very worthwhile if you´re interested in the JFK assassination. We also really enjoyed an afternoon at the Alamo and the River Walk in San Antonio before heading down to Laredo to cross into Mexico.

Crossing into Mexico was easy as nobody even talked to us. We expected to do the car and immigration stuff at the 24km check, but when we got there we found out we had to return to the border. Anyone who would not realize it had to be done would just continue on their merry way until the Federales might stop them halfway down Mexico!

We basically just drove as the weather was rainy and we stopped just south of Zacatecas. The next day we
Texas BarbecueTexas BarbecueTexas Barbecue

With Jaime and Robert
got to Guadalajara early and checked out the bull fights, which we were informed would not be held this week and next. We went through the old centre of the city and then out to the Universidad Panamericana, where Erika is hoping to go next fall. We were very impressed by the campus, an green oasis of calm in the middle of a huge city. We then looped around the Lake Chapala and Ajijic area before getting to Autlan for the night. Matt has had a cold and his ear seemed infected, so we just went to the Farmacia and the 14 year old girl there sold us some antibiotics! No messing around with doctors or prescriptions here!

We finally saw the coast at Barra de Navidad. We checked out a few beach towns but haven´t yet seen anything to compare with our Playa Lo de Marcos in Nayarit two years ago. We settled into a cheap hotel in Cuyutlan, spent some time on the crowded beach in the sun, and then watched the Super Bowl at a local hotel. There were just a few old expats there that reminded me of Jimmy Buffet´s song Margaritaville!

Today we´re
AlamoAlamoAlamo

Display of the battle
hoping to find idyllic camping on the beaches of Michoacan. We have a few places in mind but not farther south than Playa Azul (in case you´re following on a map, which I´m sure you´re not!). We plan on spending some time down the coast until we cross into Guatemala.

Until next time, take care,
Grant

Sorry, connection is too slow to upload the rest of the pictures. We´ll try next time.

PS. Next blog by Matt.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Poster in Nuevo LaredoPoster in Nuevo Laredo
Poster in Nuevo Laredo

Scaring off the would-be illegal immigrants
Super BowlSuper Bowl
Super Bowl

Most people came and went - no big deal this Futbol Americano!
Hotel FenixHotel Fenix
Hotel Fenix

Classic old hotel in Cuyutlan where we watched the game


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb