Rain Dancing, Lightening strikes and much much more!


Advertisement
Published: August 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

So after eventually getting to Surfing Turtle Lodge, Alex and Raoul actually being pretty intoxicated already...I think they take the moto of drink through the hangover a little too literally, we dumped our bags down as told to do so by Pedro, a fellow spanish look a like of Jack Black and kicked back and relaxed! This hostel was sweet as! We were told that we would literally be the only people there that night as a huge group were leaving so we would have the place to ourselves! the location was gorgeous, just a huge expanse of deserted beach with huge surfing waves rolling up from the sea with beach volleyball, beach huts, a bar, a restaurant....what more could we want!

The guys as usual were staving and being us we thought that it would be a brilliant idea to just get on the drinking! It had been a massive trekto find this place and in the scorching heat, not that enjoyable so a stiff drink was definitely needeed! Us girls decided to crack out the wine as the guys ordered some food and again the chat went into a typical english/american divide! haha! Helen,Ellie and myself were not a fan of the comment that England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland ARE NOT COUNTRIES from the Americans! I thik if you went up to a welsh person and told them that Wales was not a country you would be pretty much knocked out! Anyway, this debate proceeded for quite a while, it didn't really help when the "lovely" Sarah decided to join in and give us looks as if to say 'I am so much better than you!' Grrrrrr, we were not fans of that girl! Anyway, we eventually managed to come to some sort of conclusion that despite them being countries, they kind of work as states. Us three just smiled and nodded, not accepting the fact but really not being bothered to continue this endless circle of chat! Moving on from this conversation was the state game! This was actually quite funny and Josh and Steve were actually pretty impressed by us being able to guess about 30 out of the 50 something states in the US...see we are not just pretty faces!Eventually the food came and we consumed yet some more wine! We found out that this place did not have a paying cash bar, it was based on tabs and you just pay when you are checking out! ERROR!!!!

For some reason, bearing in mid it was probably only around 4pm, I thought it would be a grand isead to have celebratory shots, what we were celebrating I have no idea but it seemed like a good idea at the time! Tequila it was and obviously the technique of drinking it was done in no other way thatn the girls version of boobs, salt on neck, pass the lime in the mouth! Sarah again piped up when Me Hels and Ellie were perfectly content being nutty as per usual and saying 'lets play our tequila game' that, 'girls, that isn't jus your tequila game, they have that in the states too'....alright kill joy...jog on and move aside! We got the tunes blasting, literally the people in the hostel were legends, they just let us take over! The ipods were docked up and the crazy dancing began!

At long last, we were able to get in a game of beach volleyball too! So so happy about this we all ran down to the net and started chucking the ball about! Competition was definitely in order and I really don't think it was as 'friendly' a match as we had thought in the first place! haha! It was good fun but Ellie was getting a bit annoyed with herself with the serving, the guys however were kind enough to give her some private tuition but before long, we all had had enough and for some reason thought it would be a good idea to bury Alex entirely in the sand! I found out that tickling someone when they are very ticklish and covered in sand is very amusing!

What we didn't know was the heavens were going to open heavily that night and not before long they did! There was an epic thunder storm that lasted pretty much the whole night but to be fair, probably made the night so good as it was! I feel like I perfected my rain dancing skills that night! More shots were had again, all of us actually ended up finishing the tequila and having to find more! You see this is the problem when the bar is basically open to anyone and you are allowed to go into the alcohol cupboard to pick and choose what you want! Lethal!

With the rain pounding down, the music blaring and the happpiness running through our systems Ellie and me took tot he patio to spin and dance in the rain as if we were crazy people! We were definitely going back to our childish ways and were taking crazy photos at every possible opportunity! Poor josh being the main taker of oall these with me and Ellie yelling to him, telling him to move here and take one of us there! There were these palm tree umbrellas on the beach with smal circular bars around the pole to put drinks on. Ellie and I were I have to admit on a bit of a sabbotaging mission at this point in time....I won't go into this anymore but we thought it great tioo sprint up to these umbrellas and stand on the bar holding onto the pole and taking every possible ridiculous photo imaginable! Josh again got roped into the photograph taking, to be fair I don't think he was too bothered, but when he went, Els and I contiinued to dance under the umbrella until....dun dun duhhhhhh......WE GOT HIT BY LIGHTENING!!!!! Actually no jokes! The lightening obviously hit the umbrella and then as it was earthing down it went through both Ellie and me. Our hands literally lit up and it felt like a really dull thud through the body! Once it had happened, ellie and I just looked up at each other and then screamed and laughed in complete shock! We ran down to the sea to tell the guys who were needless to say pretty shocked as well! Josh had actually seen it hit the tree and was like, crap the girls....but we were perfectly fine! However, I doubt continuing to swim in the sea in a thunder storm at night was probably the best idea, especially as I then continued to say my piece of trivia that 'once you get hit by lightening, you are more prone to being hit by it again!' I don't know how true that is or if it is true at all, but it seemed like a good thing to say at the time whilst running around on the sand with my arms in the air, making myself look like a pole and doing a rain dance! Yes, I am a special case! ALso sad times, After Ellie and Helen both losing and breaking their sun galsses, I was the final person to lose mine....in the sea in the dark at night....shows me really that it was a dumb idea to have them on my head!

The shower outside was pretty cool, although again, maybe not the best thing to be doing in a lightening storm, standin under a metal pole covered in water! I think Ellie and I were pretty much exposing ourselves to the entirity of the rest of the party as well as we attempted to get the ridiculous amounts of sand out of our bikinis! I think i was perfectly content rain dancing for a long while and every song that seemed to play, I mamaged to make out it was a brilliant rain dancing song and definitely my favourite! Lots of childish rain spinning also occurerred between me and Ellie, both of us praying that neither one of us would let go of the eachother otherwise a little accident would definitely occur! We evn found some random basket thing that we thought would be a perfect instruement to pose with on our heads and what not, along with getting josh to take yet more photos of us hiding behind bushes and palm trees and doing random shizzle to be honest!

Shots were the key drink of the night, I think we pretty much sampled the whole alcohol cabiinet, with the best drink being creme de banane shots...mmmmm tasty! There were these swing seats also by the bar that were, as I am sure you can believe incredibly fun to swing on, despite being incredibly slippery...afterall there was a huge thunderstorm occurring! I think Ellie and I thought we were monkeys as climbing many objects seemed to take place through out the night ie: dancing on the backs of the sofas and what not.

The three muskateers were eventually reunited again after Els had gone for a little woonder in the woods on her own. I ended up playing a little game of marco polo with hels and Ellie with them telling me to just stay where I was and they would find me, but obviously I was not going to do that! haha. So I ended up going for a lovely little wonder god knows where until we were all finally reunited! Us three continued the rain dancing tradition, however, Els and hels were keen to stay in the shelter, much to my disgust as everytime I saw they were inside I would give them the evils! Hilarious!

Josh had actually ordered some food for Hels but hadn't been able to find me and Ellie earlier in the night so when we got to the table, us three were actually like vultures! haha! How embarassing! In our drunken states the ketchup apparently tasted so so good! Oh dear and the meal was followed by Ellie and I falling off our chairs for some wierd drunken reason and that definitely explains the lump on my head the next morning! haha. I think the fact that we hadn't eaten properly all day and only having a little bit of dinner made Ellie and I go on the rampage for more food! To the point that we raided the alcohol cabinet thinkning that there may be food hidden there. Instead we managed to find a botle of vodka and pina colada mix! haha! Hysterical as it was, the barman knew we had tried to smuggle it out and juust joked about with us to get it back! Funny Times. We even decided to eat the two tins of tuna we had bought a couple of days before and were so so pleased when we realised the tins were ring pull! Score! What freaks that we are!

Okay, so our sabbotage mission also probably went a little bit ott when Ellie and I thought that chucking some of the biznatches clothes intot the rain would be a great idea and hidsing them under the sofa! haha, oh well you only live once! Eventually I think the shots and rum and god knows what else that was consumed caught up with us. Alex and I ended up puttling Ellie to bed , I'm not really sure when I went to bed but I think pretty much soon after as we both ended up waking up in the morning covered in yet more Sand Fly Bites feeling rather ill and hungover!

Coffee was definitely needed! We all sat down stairs feeling pretty dead but just laughing about a hilarious night! Helen also finally emerged again...lets not ask any questions and we had a good breakfast of pancakes and fruit! Much to our dislkie the crazy biznatch still managed to grate on us with stupid quotes like 'you can't call orange juice nice, its not a person!'...urgh! We will call it whatever we want!! Raoul also thought that the comment he said to me the previousl night that I told him about that morning was hilarious. The night before we had all been chatting about how old we were and I said óh I'm just 20'. He replied with, 'ph my god, you are like the youngest person I have ever spoken to' and so I replied 'what, have you never spoken to a child before' to which he piped up, 'no, i don't baby sit'! haha, what crack!

We all were heading back to leon that morning and kindly a nice little local man took all our bags ion a horse cart as we walked throught the boggy mud path behind! The boat ride back to the main land was very interesting also! We managed to cram 8 people and all our bags in a small rowing paddle boat that I'm not joking, felt like it was going to tip over every minute iof the journey! It didn't help that the guys thought it waould be a brillinat idea to rock the boat continuously! Funny...ha ha ....not! We ended up waiting fo ages for the taxi and so hit some local food place where we saw our favourite pig again roaming the streets. Eventually the bus cam for leon and we all got aboard!

This was actually quite sad as the guys were heading to managua as they were flying to panama the next day but we were staying in leon as we wanted to hit the corn islands!! Josh's comments to Ellie on the bus ride were hilarious. He was like 'just sak up the moments'as it was his last time with her! What jokes! Anyway, we eventually arrived back in Leon and we said our goodbyes, deep down we were all wishing that we could just go with them to managua but crazy biznatch was taking full control as usual! Anyhoo, after our farewells, the 3 muskateers were back to their original three again to continue the journey some more!!!!

The rest of that night in Len we were actually pretty mopiy, probably just due to the fact that we had had a brilliant last week and now we were just back to the threee of us againa and we felt kind of alone! But meh, all was good as we seriously needed to work out a way to get up to the bay islands in Hionduras. We eneded up having to spend 2 nights in Leon as the Tica Bus terminal wasn't open when we arrived there the first day and so we had to go the following morning. Oh well, at least we could get all our errands done in Leona dn chill a bit more in the pool at our Hostel before heading on.

Ellie and me had some seriously bad sand fly bites on our legs and when we were sitting by the pool scratching like crazy, this lovbely older australian lady came up and started telling us about all her top tips for the bites, She recommended bicarbonbate of soda so that firstnight back in Leon, Ellie and I spent walking aroud the town with white powder covering our legs! Attractive times hey! This lady was such a sweet heart and by the end of the evening we were finding it really mind boggling how to get up to the bay islands in one day! Anyway, cut a long story shorty, the next morning when we went to the bus terminal, we ended up buying a ticket to Tegucigalpa (the capital of honduras) and then were going to make our way up from there.

I have to say that the night of the Tuesday in Leon, we did go on a bit of a crazy loon sesh and were thinking that we could head back down to Bocas to spend some more time with guys as we were all so gutted to be leaving ewach other, them also, but really and truly this was not going to be feasable and if we were to do that, then we may as well have gone to the corn islands! Okay, so after our loony sesh and a nighst sleep and after the vodka had worn ff, we decided that we just needed to head to the bay islands!

The bus left on Wednesday morning from Leon at 6am and took a lot longer than expected! We ended up ariving in Tegucigalpa in the afternoon and actually decided to stay on board the bus and continue up to San Pedro and stay there for the night. We weren't too sure about this as had heard and read that San Pedro is very dangerous. Thsi seems wierd though as the city iuteslf seemed so modernided and much better looking than any of teh other cities we had been to, although apparently there is this problem with the gangs names m something or other that have loads of tattoos and basically hate tourists and will just shoot you there and then! Brilliant! We also had a funny encounter at the bus station. We arrived in San Pedro at about 8pm and were desperate for the toilet. However, when we were heading out of the toilets into the station, there was some guy gassing out the whole terminal. He must have been spraying some insecticide but he was wearing a gas mask and everything. So being us, we literally just took the biggest breath ever and ran!!!!

We ended up heading to this hostel called tamarindo. It was a good little place and the guy who ran it was cool. I think he did think us trhee were very wierd but what do you expect when you have been travelling for 14 hours solid! haha! We were starving but also veryworried about our ssafety so aftyer quizzing he consistently aboyt the safety of the area, he said we would be fine and we headed 5 blocks up to Baleada express! OMG...this was the best place we had eaten in a long while! We had no idea hwhat or how to order but for so cheapo, we got a huge baleada each which is the typical dish and it was divine! As helen likes to say: it definitey filled a hole!

Thursday morning was taken up by yet anither early morning wake up of 4.45 as the bus to La Ceiba left at 5.30am as we needed to get to La Ceiba by 9 to get the 9.30am ferry. We were getting very excited now by the thought of Utila as we had heard some raving things about it and were definitely in need of a good long break and stay in one place for a little while! Everything all went to plan and we got on board the ferry that was a lot rockier than expected, hence helsn's motion sickness did not take likely to it! This was also the first encounter of Ryan and SImon and our fellow rum stealing neighbours! More to be read inthe Utila extravaganza!!!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb