Martinique


Advertisement
Published: September 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

We left Dominica, Rousseau at 0530, we took a mooring for $10 US and the boat boy that helped us said what about the service? Pete gave him $2.
As we pulled anchored, we saw another US flag sailboat leaving the same anchorage. This was 2nd Millenium. They were headed same way to Martinique. We spoke on VHF several times during the crossing, and were within eye view of each other the whole time, probably no more than 300 yards. It was a rough crossing, weather decayed as the day went by, ended up with a 7 foot chop at times. More than we had all expected. We arrived Port France around 1500. Made our way towards downtown anchorage next to the Fort.
It was quite crowded and the ferries don't stop all day until around 2100, dreadful.
All that bouncing. Next day we went into shore to do customs, but we didn't find it. According to the cruising guide, it is down by the cruise ship dock. We found a mess downtown. a lot of construction on going. The Customs office was closed. We were suppose to take a taxi to a new location. We didn't check in.
Next day we took a ferry across the bay for $3 Euros each way per person.
This area is very commercialized and filthy. Some of the locals bathe in the nude at the small beach by the Fort. The traffic is horrendous and with it comes the noise. Definitely not a good anchorage. it also took us 3 times setting the anchor.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0973s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb