Lago de Yojoa


Advertisement
Honduras' flag
Central America Caribbean » Honduras » Western » Lake Yojoa
December 17th 2009
Published: December 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Down the canal...Down the canal...Down the canal...

The locals make it look so easy but we had some difficulties... had fun tho :)
On the 15th, Ashley and I started our trip through Honduras and Guatemala. Stayed one night in Tegucigalpa (capital of Honduras) and visited two churches the next morning - really nice plaza and walking areas in the center.

Then we took a bus to Lago de Yojoa. Rented a row boat for equivalent of about $3 and managed to row ourselves down the canal to the lake. We each tried rowing on our own but decided it would be much more efficient if we each just rowed one oar together. When we got to the lake, jumped in - really refreshing despite the algae everywhere. On the way back down the canal rowing in our swimsuits, a local family was in a boat coming the other way. We said good morning and the man told us in Spanish, “You need to change, what an embarrassment… yada yada.” We were a little stunned and not sure what to do, so we just kept going. Though we want to respect the culture, it was a little awkward in the moment since they were already past us and no one else was there so we didn’t think it was too necessary to put our clothes on.

At the hostel, met an old English man who knows A LOT about birds - takes people on bird tours on the lake and through the jungle. Interesting talking to him about his travels around the world.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.468s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 14; qc: 63; dbt: 0.1546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb