Hola Honduras


Advertisement
Published: March 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

San Pedro, Guatemala to Copan, Honduras


Sheryl & TulaSheryl & TulaSheryl & Tula

Tula is the mum in our host Guatemalan family.
We've both graduated from Spanish school! Our graduation consisted of us preparing a little speech to give to the rest of the school. Luckily that week there weren't too many students, we were still a little nervous though.

Although we've had a fantastic time in San Pedro and certainly clocked up a few experiences (I've not even told you about the black spiders and the huge orange one on the last night) we're happy to be moving on and getting a little closer to the beach again.

So, the journey. We were so prepared. We had money, food, water, tissues, no stomach issues of any merit.. we were ready for the 10.5 hr journey to Copan in Honduras. The first leg to Antigua was fine, a bit bumpy and slightly scary due to the silly fast speeds and crazy overtaking, but we're getting used to that. The second leg however, was a bit different. Firstly we nearly missed it because the guy told us we had two hours in Antigua rather than 45 mins, luckily we didn't believe him and headed back early only to see them loading our bags on to a micro van. Deep breaths. Then there was the two unscheduled pick ups in Guatemala City, with the three hour traffic jam. Then the driver stopping on the side of the highway, grabbing his paper and running off, crossing the road, down a bit and in to the bushes.

Seriously now, what is it with people running out of cars in to bushes in Guatemala.

Anyway, after a much needed leg stretch and another offer from me to drive (which didn't go down all that well) another guy appeared from.. yes the bushes.. jumped in and started the rest of the journey. What amazed us was that just around the corner was a 'service station' of sorts. If they'd stopped there we could've had toilets and drinks etc..

So another 2 hrs later (we are now 5 hrs in to a journey with no toilet break) the guy finally stops. Steve and I buy a bottle of pop and go and join the toilet queue. The driver starts shouting over to us to hurry up. Well, he can just go hurry himself up!

So after a power wee and a gallop back to the bus we hurtle down the road knowing we have another 2 hr drive to the border. The driver.. and this is the bit where things started going a little bit wrong, pulled in to a shopping centre, parked up and let two girls sitting in the front leisurely go to the shops.

The guy next to me nearly exploded . When the two girls returned with a KFC I thought there was going to be a riot.

Well, we were back on the road, running two hours late, driving through scary roads, tired.. what else could happen. Oh yeah, of course, a guy in a car wants to turn left before we do so he shoots his gun three times in the air just to let us know. At this point there was nothing left to do apart from laugh.

We got to the border, we get a stamp from Guatemala to say we left, I personally think it should say 'I went to Guatemala and survived the crazy bus journeys'.

Anyway, we are here, in Copan, in the Hotel Iguana Azul. The hotel is beautiful, clean, clean and clean. I've had the best shower I've had in weeks and the nicest nights sleep since leaving home (no need for the washing line/mozzie net combo).

We're going to go and get some breakfast now and have a much needed lazy day.

Love you and miss you. Wish you could come for a bus journey with us. ;o)

S&S xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

KayakingKayaking
Kayaking

Racheal, Pam and Sheryl
Beautiful..Beautiful..
Beautiful..

We were told that there was a beach around a 45 min kayak away.
Seriously??  Seriously??
Seriously??

It looks like a gust of wind would blow that dock away let alone a ferry!
BBQ time..BBQ time..
BBQ time..

We were so under prepared. We were green with envy as people arrived with huge hampers of food, bbqs, tents & canopies.


30th March 2010

Hi Sheryl and Steve
Hi Sheryl and Steve, loving your blogs. That ride sounds like it was a real endurance test - and pretty scary! I suppose you have to take the rough with the smooth though when you're travelling. Glad you arrived safely at the other end. Till later - Gwen (your Mum's second cousin).
30th March 2010

Hi Gwen
It certainly was an endurance test. I found most of it quite funny, but there were times when I was so hot I thought maybe walking might be easier. Thanks for reading and it's good to hear from you. Sx
31st March 2010

Hi
A lovely blog Sheryl. I'm looking forward to hearing all the news when you meet up with Huw; it will be good to have all details filled in! Love, Joan
31st March 2010

Get used to them buses!
Hahahahaha! Those bus journeys are just gonna get crazier and crazier guys. Love it! You will strangely get used to it though. Your adventure so far sounds amazing and good work on keeping up with the blogs - most impressed! xxxxxxxx
31st March 2010

Huw in Utila
Hi Joan I'm really looking forward to meeting up with Huw. Less than a week to go! I heard that you just went down to Devon and that you went to Bigby. That tractor is wicked! Lots of love xxx
31st March 2010

Bring it on..
We can handle it. We've survived several muddy Glastonburys after all. Although, I'm not sure how the bus would handle it if we got on drunk. :O) That could lead to a very crazy journey.

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0686s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb