Copan Ruinas


Advertisement
Published: January 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Copan RuinasCopan RuinasCopan Ruinas

Ready for a drink or lunch?
We took Hedman Alas bus from Antigua to Copan Ruinas in Honduras after a one night stay in Antigua. So long Antigua, we will not see you again after passing this way three times! The seats on Hedman Alas were pure luxury! When we got to Honduras, the immigration officer was a joker imitating a lion for “Leona” and me as poquino for “jr.” Everyone is a comedian!

Arrived in Copan Ruinas which is a funky little town of 6000 people two miles from the Mayan Ruins. Took a tuk-tuk to our hotel. We were staying on the edge of “town” four blocks from the center of town. The hills around town are full of birds and Casa Del Café B&B is great place to stay. Great people in a quiet area.

We went to the ruins the next day which contained some very important hieroglyphics from Mayan period. There is one set of stairs consisting of 2200 blocks which tells the history of the Mayan States. Although not nearly as impressive in size and scope as Tikal or detail in carvings as Anchor Wat, there was a certain quiet and tranquility to this place. Macaws, which are not so quiet, were colorful. One thing that was somewhat irritating in that non-Central Americans pay 10 times the entry fee of the locals. This reinforces the prevailing sense of a different fee structure for locals versus gringos. Not that the cost is prohibited, but there is a feeling of being abused. Where is my civil rights lawyer!!

The next day, we went to Macaw Mtn bird sanctuary. This a several acre facility that takes in abandoned and injured birds that people donate. Some Macaws can live to be 125 years and outlive their owners. There are three different color schemes including red, blue and yellow. They also had toucans, parrots, owls, hawks, as well as some we can’t remember their names! The entry fee included a guide and you could really sense his love for these birds. We spent most of the day there and really enjoyed it and recommend visiting.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Copan RuinasCopan Ruinas
Copan Ruinas

Macaws at entrance to ruins. these guys are loud!!
Copan RuinasCopan Ruinas
Copan Ruinas

Anybody know what these are?
Copan RuinasCopan Ruinas
Copan Ruinas

Hieroglyphic stairway
Copan RuinasCopan Ruinas
Copan Ruinas

Leona at the ball field. The winner only won once. As the winner, you had the honor of being sacraficed!
Copan RuinasCopan Ruinas
Copan Ruinas

Guancastle tree. A little bigger than Frank. Yeh, you have to look closely to see him.
Copan RuinasCopan Ruinas
Copan Ruinas

Epiphytes
Copan RuinasCopan Ruinas
Copan Ruinas

countryside by ruins
Copan RuinasCopan Ruinas
Copan Ruinas

Frank and friends
Copan RuinasCopan Ruinas
Copan Ruinas

Leona and friends
Copan RuinasCopan Ruinas
Copan Ruinas

Loving parrots
Copan RuinasCopan Ruinas
Copan Ruinas

Coffee beans


29th January 2010

wow
I loved the pictures of the birds. They are so beautiful and so loud.
29th January 2010

We were wowed too!
I didn't know there were so many different colors and so loud too!
1st February 2010

Oh, my gosh, the birds are amazing. I've always loved parrots and their relatives. It must have been an extraordinary experience. And I think that funny little animal is a cavy, related to guinea pigs and capybaras......am I smarter than a 3rd grader? hugs, s.
2nd February 2010

A Big Rat?
We think it might be a big rat or an Agouti? See http://www.honoluluzoo.org/agouti.htm Frank/Leona

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0833s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb