An excursion to nearby sites!


Advertisement
Published: June 12th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Temple at El PuenteTemple at El PuenteTemple at El Puente

Those stairs are a little sketchy. They move and wobble a lot when you walk on them. A little scary
So I just had my lesson in "SAVE OFTEN." Really, do it. Cause now I dont have a lot of time remaining and it sucks.

Anyway, long story short. Yesterday our group went to a few nearby archaeological sites. El Puente and El Pariso. We met up with a group from Yale headed by Marcello Canuto and Ellen Bell (from Kenyon College). They are digging at El Pariso, but they met us at El Puente and we had lunch in a little pueblo called La Entrada. Both may have been controlled by and or traded with Copan. They mimicked some of Copan´s architectural style, however crudely. They were sites probably populated by mostly Lenca Indians (I think thats right) and not Maya people. Copan itself was probably only 1/3 Maya and maybe 2/3 Lenca. It was cool to meet Marcello and Ellen because I have read articles/books by them.

We had fun. There was a bit of carsickness, a bit of throwing up. Rosa had a bag of barf at her feet for a while. She pukes very quietly. Which is good cause otherwise it would have set off a chain reaction. The roads are very curvy near Copan
Rosa, Freddy, and Me at El PuenteRosa, Freddy, and Me at El PuenteRosa, Freddy, and Me at El Puente

Freddy is a 16 yr old Copaneco who is working with us this summer. He does not speak English. But he knows a lot about the plants of Honduras, so we ask lots of questions.
and people drive like maniacs. To get to El Pariso we had to drive on a dirt road for at least an hour. El Pariso is just in the beginning stages of being excavated. It is very exciting! I saw several sherds of pottery on the ground there. Many of the local people in the town just follwed us around while we toured the site. Ok, gonna post some pics real quick.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Me at El Puente.  Me at El Puente.
Me at El Puente.

On top of the big temple pyramid thingie (technical term).
Tree at El PuenteTree at El Puente
Tree at El Puente

Cool flowers growing in the tree branches.
Tunnel Tunnel
Tunnel

A tunnel through a structure at El Puente. Rosa likes to sniff the rock. Toba or Volcanic Tuff smells very distinct. Apparently. This place just smelled kinda damp and nasty. Andre and Susana in the background.
El ParaisoEl Paraiso
El Paraiso

An unexcavated mound. Oh the things I could discover....


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb