caribbean coast


Advertisement
Published: August 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

5th Agosto- PUERTO CORTES

Huge rainstorm the previous night, watched it while eating on a sheltered roof top terrace. Roya in training to be less scared of lightening.
Speedy get up next morning, me covered in bites, savaged during the night, last count 30. Made it to San Pedro, got shouted out and swarmed upon as usual when we left the bus. We were shouted at again when we got to Puerto Cortes, not knowing where we were or whether we were in the right city we jumped into a taxi. Got dropped off at recommended hostel, completely desolate except for one grinning toothless owner. The hostel was literally on the caribbean beach; if you ignored the rubbish scattered along the shore, it was idyllic. Incredible caribbean food and then off for a paddle. After picking our way happily through discarded plastic bottles to the sea for a swim we were approached by some shy looking local children who offered us fresh coconuts for us to drink. Tried to bridge the language barrier by building sand castles but they seemed to respond better to the universal language of a water fight.
Ate whilst watching the sun go down and then sat in front of terrible but amusing mexican soaps with some award winning acting.

6th Agosto- LE CEIBA

Lots of sweaty travelling and pervy looks. Particularly sweaty moment when on a crowded bus the hub cap and various essential looking engine parts flew off into the motorway; it took them a worryingly short 10 minutes to cellotape it all together.
Chucked off bus at le Ceiba, took easy way out again and settled for taxi only to be dropped in the scummiest looking 'hotel' in existencg. Feeling a cut above we decided to walk on despite the fact it had started raining. We were beginning to get a bit disheartened as we were quickly drenched and my map reading skills landed us in the working quarters of a banana plantation when a kind lady offered us a lift in the back of her pick up truck. At this moment the heavens decided to open, the wind and rain lashing us in the face into our open hysterical mouths. We were finally dropped off at the right place only to be immediately told they were full for the night! Holding back tears we were dabbed with a towel by a drunk american, when we rememebered we had our trusty hammocks... we'll let you know how they work out.......

Harriet

Advertisement



11th August 2008

yo
hi guys sounds awesome! I've been writing to Roya's email so if u get time have a look at them. Also shall I post my alevel results here or write to ur email? Anyway hope it having loads of fun and speaking lots of espanol si xxx
13th August 2008

Very entertaining! I await the next entry with baited breath... How were those hammocks?

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb