Day 28, Tegucigalpa


Advertisement
Published: October 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Travelling to Western El Salvador from Lake Yojoa in one day would be pretty close to impossible, so we broke our journey with a night in Tegucigalpa.

When we arrived our taxi from the bus station had to take a diversion around a fair (it's a three day holiday in Honduras at the moment) so we went there to get some food after we checked in.

So far we haven't spent any time in capital cities, and I wasn't expecting much from our afternoon there, but our hostel for the night (apparently the only one in the city!?) runs free city tours so we had a pretty cool afternoon looking round the central area, including some churches, a local market, the national theatre and one of the museums 😊

Honduras, and all of central America, has a very interesting history, and I'm definitely going to find out more when I get back.

In the evening we got baleadas (yum!), and then spent the night on the roof of the hostel enjoying the view and the hostel owner told us some cool stuff about the football war with El Salvador, so called because some people say it started over the result of a football match(!), and the monument to commemorate it. When the war was over the government wanted to mark peace, so banned military toys - bought them back from children and buried them under a monument.

He also told us what the flag of Honduras depicts: the two blue stripes represent the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, the five stars represent the five central American countries (Belize and Panama don't count here...) and the white stripe is for peace.

Have really loved Honduras, next stop: El Salvador 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb