You vant to make zie Scuba?


Advertisement
Honduras' flag
Central America Caribbean » Honduras » Bay Islands » Utila
December 25th 2008
Published: January 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So, there´s this place on Earth called Utila. To find it on the map, locate Honduras (such as). On the Carribean coast there are some Islands called the Bay Islands and one of them is called Utila. Though Honduras calms this place as their own, it does not fit in. This is a funny place. Most people would tell you they come to Utila for the diving, which is indeed amazing. We happened to meet many people there that weren´t diving at all, which was perfectly fine. One thing that everyone in this place had in common was to partake in the general shenanigans that go on at all the various dive schools.

So, we get to the island, check into a hotel and start our search for a dive school. In particular we happened to choose a place called Alton´s. Right on the water with a bar on the dock, we met a nice mix of foreigners. Our Scuba instructor turns out to be a perfect candidate for the Keanu Reeves Scuba stunt double if there was one in the Matrix. Our boy Mitch from Alton´s turned out gem after gem of one-liners. Scuba was fun, comparatively cheap, and in an amazing spot. I definitely recommend this spot.

The food and nightlife were interesting as well. Every place seemed to have their particular nights. There were cool bars right on some docks and even an elaborate tree house that must of taken years to decorate. Fish was fresh and cheap and everyone spoke English. Many working on the Utila don´t speak any spanish.

Alton´s threw a Christmas Eve booze cruise where only one person fell off at a decent speed and with so many people on the boat it took a minute for the capitan to realize someone was overboard. On Christmas, Alton´s threw a hog roast where an entire pig was deep friend and ultimately delicious. Five days well spent.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb