baracuda's and beach parties


Advertisement
Published: June 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

UsUsUs

post rescue diver training (and hannah admitting that our instructor might be frustrating).
Holy Cow!! where to start? So, we’ve been diving our way through advanced diver Rescue Diver (which we’re part way through) courses, not to mention our CPR course, and now we’re on a break to inspect the reef - more on that later. In the water, Hannah made friends with a giant Grouper, who settled near her, and she fed him a leaf. (not really though, but the grouper was real. have i lost you yet?) We also made people friends, while drinking ocean water and alcoholic beverages.
But more on diving, so far we’ve seen … a baby manta ray, flying fish (they go on for EVER), a scrawled cow fish, really incredibly large butterfly fish, great barracuda (way cooler than we expected, still scary tho), porcupine fish, tons of sea turtles, moray eels, and a school of hump-head parrot fish shatting sand (which is where all the white sand comes from) and all that during day time.
We did a night dive finally - not scary at all actually - and saw two Caribbean octopi that changed colour from translucent white and red to blue and green, we saw and woke up and sleeping turtle and
Belly by the BeachBelly by the BeachBelly by the Beach

Its shrunk i swear.
a nudibranch (my spell check thinks that’s made up). The dive itself was absolutely nuts, with something like 14 people on it, three light failures and all the while our poor fellow diver master in training leading his first dive. All and all, it was worth while, but we’re excited to do a less hectic night dive next time around.
Out of the water we took a local bus, in the haze of a tropical argument, to the nearby (and damn near only) town of Coxen Hole where we bought a used alarm clock in the midst of a terrible case of Monetzuma’s Revenge. We also bought a piece of wood, which was custom sawed for the purposes of being combined with some cinderblocks into Jon’s Grade-A DJ Station/Music Making Lab. Back to making new friends: at the bar tonight (we only drank sodas, I swear) a new French amis by the name of Elan invited Jon to commence the festivities at the huge Friday night beach bash, which will the only party in town that night (and maybe the next morning)… that is, unless it rains.
Apart from hanging out at bars, when we haven’t been diving,
Swimming in A SchoolSwimming in A SchoolSwimming in A School

Part of our underwater photo shoot (the camera was foggy, our photography skills aren't that bad)
we’ve begun volunteering for the previously mentioned reef inspection project, headed by the Roatan Marine Park. Today we spent six gruelling hours training to become official Reef Check checkers (www.reefcheck.org), we can now even certify other trainees into our program. Working with Reef Check we will monitor the health of our local reefs to criteria that are globally enacted to provide standardized data regarding the health of the worlds reefs. The best part is: we got free binders and stickers!!!
Following heroic days on the reef, Jon has retreated to our newly purchased HAMMOCK with his book (he has rediscovered reading!) and Hannah has recently taken up yoga (yet still doubles his page count). Located on the roof of a three story building she hones her camel pose with a view of the Honduran mountains, tropical tree tops and Monkey Lalas (a form of lizard, not the drink). Looking forward to another and new adventures in what is starting to look like paradise.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Hannah Waving (sort of)Hannah Waving (sort of)
Hannah Waving (sort of)

Jon was the photographer and while he thought Hannah was waving she was in fact motioning him to stop taking her picture
Clownfish?Clownfish?
Clownfish?

Just to give you an idea of what our underwater photo session was like ...


15th June 2007

Fantasticness!!!!
OMG!!!! So was kinda missing the lack of blogging, but now, totally pacified, this one is sooo good! I am so impressed and pumped for you guys! Also...I do not want to get you excited for nothing...but Portugal has fallen through...thus.....maybe I will visit you??!!!!! Get myself a cabin...some gear...some sun....thoughts? Love so incredibly much, and miss you both ever more! Love, CB
16th June 2007

So glad your having an amazing time! I miss you so much my love. Please keep emailing and tell the little bro so come find me when he goes to GW! xoxo
16th June 2007

Good to hear from you
Hey guys! Looks like a lot of fun... and responsibility! Reef Checkers!!! Thats some serious weight... haha Glad you are having fun, and I'll try not be too bitter about your tropical adventures. BYE!
16th June 2007

Thanks for the update whores!
16th June 2007

roatan
gday guys. is loafers bar still open on roatan?
16th June 2007

BE HAPPY...
thank you for this e-mail i was worried, but now i am happy too. it defenetly is an adventure to cherrish, i am already creating an album photo with the pictures you are taking.ps. love you more then all the grains of sand in the ocean and all the stars in the universe beleived to be at least 10 billion light years in diameter and has been expanding since its creation in the big bang about 13 billion years ago AND I HAVE LOVED YOU BEFORE THAT....take of hanah ,be well and safe DAD
16th June 2007

underwater photos
Its difficult to get thoes underwater shots to look like they actually do eh? I had like 10 rolls from my first trip and like 20 usable shots. I'm going to invest in a quality lighting set up of of these days, one of my friends is a journalist who does almanacs of fish species and his shots are great. Well, I'd tell you to have fun but it already appears your living in paradise so i hope a grouper shatts on your head. : )
17th June 2007

i miss you 2!
looks like you guys are having a GREAT time! so glad everything worked out... im not gonna lie, i was a little bit skeptical haha. But glad that my skepticalness (im guessing not a word) was wrong. Anywho van is van rainy not really summery but chillin as always and wishing that i had picked up and got some shit together like the 2 of you!!!! Have sooooo much fun and i cant wait to here more about ur tropical adventures. Love you both and miss ya all the more. Take care. XXXXXX

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 5; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb