Paradise?


Advertisement
Published: June 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well folks, we arrived alive. We’re hot, sweaty, Jon is chaffed and Hannah is laughing at him while voraciously scratching at her polka dotted body.
In the cab from the the airport our faithful driver, Robert, brought us up to speed on some local history. Apparently there are racial tensions between the native Roatanese population (who are decedents of a British slave population, dumped here after they revolted on the island of St. Vincent in the Caribbean -- thank you Hannah and our guidebook) and the Spanish “Ladinos” from the mainland. The Garifuna (descendants of the revolters) now have trouble getting decent jobs because they don’t have the money to get the educations that these jobs demand. To fill these spots, there has been a massive influx (according to Robert) of Spanish speaking mainlanders much to, at least Robert’s, chagrin.
When we got to our Hidden (they weren’t joking) Garden Cabin, we were met by Tanja the manger who gave us the down-low and a monumental set of keys. (Don’t worry mom and dad, you have to get though barbed wire, three padlocks, a dead-bolt, and a guard to reach our friendly Oasis). Our hot water is intermittent and has
Roatan From the AirRoatan From the AirRoatan From the Air

not our beach, but not half bad...
yet to compete with the temperature of the ocean, which we were able to see from our breakfast seats today in town. Snorkelling the first day and a swim this afternoon reintroduced us to the glories of the underwater experience. And a successful quest to the local grocery store initiated us into the ways of the beach bum lifestyle. Clearly, some still take us for fresh meat, only last night at dinner we were offered some ‘cactus juice’ (a life saver around here) to fend off the million … trillion… bugs that decided to snack on us while we snacked on a delicious meal of fried plantains, yellow rice (two bowls because they messed up the order in traditional Roatan style), a burrito and a mix of salva vida (cerveza) and lemonade (ode to walt!).
Lacking in a alarm clocks, the local roosters and cats happily filled in and had us awake at (an average) 8:00 (Jon is more resistant to such tactics). We made our way to a dive shop (in this one road town there are at least, we’re arguing, lets say between 12 and 20). In our case we found a great one (yes, they’re golden palm certified), less than five minutes from our “little piece of paradise”. Having signed on as dive masters (we might even go for a full assistant instructor title, before the end) we made our way to the aforementioned breakfast spot to enjoy our desayuno typico which, like all things south of Texas, included beans. Our first dive is schedule for tomorrow morning and we’re off to see if we can make a friend or two before we call it a night.
As I flick a fly away from the screen and tell myself that its not worth touching the shower-head to find out if it really will electrocute me, we wonder… how much cactus juice is necessary for una cerveza por favor.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

In the heat of the NightIn the heat of the Night
In the heat of the Night

... we usually watch movies.
Our closetOur closet
Our closet

note the lack of sweaters.
KitchenKitchen
Kitchen

we cooked in more than ate out. believe it!
Stocked FridgeStocked Fridge
Stocked Fridge

Here's the proof.
One of our catsOne of our cats
One of our cats

caught in the act of sneaking into our pad.


7th June 2007

So glad to hear from you.
hey guys sounds like youre having an amazing time. glad to hear you got there ok and settled into your nook for the summer. extremely jealous of your going diving tomorow. (among other things) (but especiallly that) unfortunately i must sleep soon, but im so happy to have heard from you two. love you both. hope you have (or had) an amazing time diving. glad to hear youre keeping with the tradition of salva vida and fresca. thanks for the awesome blog entry. i guess il hear from you again soon. love - Chris
8th June 2007

MZZummmm
Hannah and Jon, You guys should have applied to the National Film Board for some funding. The reality TV series that could have been made from your trip could have saved the Life! network from bankruptcy. Next time I log on, I wanna see the underwater photo set. I´m on the way to Morocco now but will be back on the new continent in time for the MTL Jazzfest. ¿Highballs at Chelsea´s?
8th June 2007

Dive on Dudes!
Loved your news - keep it coming. Stay safe (relatively speaking). Love always, Faye
11th June 2007

Beer, bugs, and diving...Oh my the jelousy!!!!!
Hey kids, also sent a message to your diver's mail. But you are missed everyday here in (now sunny, thank god) Montreal! But really missed! Totally agree with Daniel's TV series idea, you would look so pretty and tan on camera (and that is really all that matters, the tan I mean)! Did I mention I desperately miss you....? Love so incredibly much, CB P.S. Jon, how our Mystery Rubber Duckie doing? Has he scored with any of the native birds yet?
13th June 2007

Who are you guys? What are you doing to the cats? What do you want from me? Leave me alone.

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 5; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0694s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb