The Great Mayan Ruins of Tikal & Palenque


Advertisement
Published: April 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hey all... well i hope all is well, Spring is almost coming to an end and so is my trip but the way i like to see it is the summer is round the corner and so there will be loads of BBQs waiting on my return.... 😊 HINT HINT!!!!...

I'd finishing my schooling in Panajachel and have less than 2 weeks to make my way back to Mexico City to catch my flight to NYC. The plan was to spend a week or so to do a bit of sight seeing in Guatemala and also relaxing in Palenque Mexico for a few day.

So saying goodbye to my host family and catching the early morning 6am tourist bus to Coban via Guatemala city. (unfortunately i wasnt up for the famous chicken bus ride with all my bags).
Even still i was thrown off at Antigua and was told i had to wait for another connecting bus...huh?..."i was told i only have 1 change in Guatemala City"...but like everything in Central America, you never get what you book for, i suppose i should be just grateful we wasnt stopped by some BANDITS, heard some scary stories.

Coban...was a
The Road To Shemuc ChampeyThe Road To Shemuc ChampeyThe Road To Shemuc Champey

We was so unfortunate, the night before it was raining very heavily so all the dirt road was water logged and many car was stuck causing huge road blocks. People was still very persistent and we ended up going by truck the remaining 17 miles
small town where ever one goes to visit the NOT To Be MISSED Shemuc Champey water Cascades and the Lanquin Caves. So of course after hunting around for a good deal Suzzana and me decided to go for a tour at the Dona Victoria Hostal which was recomended in the Lonely Planet for their tours...but also we was swayed by the fact it was an adventure one where we can do TUBING.

The 1st disapointment was that night it poored it down with heavy rain and in the morning it was still drizzling and grey.

2nd was that we had to wait for the other to visit the Lanquin caves, although we doubled checked and explained that we had book a tour to go tubing at another cave. They said they will take us after and the others will have to wait for when we went tubing. WHAT!!!!... but as a said you NEVER REALLY GET WHAT YOU BOOK..its always a lottery.

3rd..we finally continued our tour only to discover because of the rain many vehicles was stuck in the mud and our Tour Mini bus will not be able to continue. So we was transfer to
Suzanna and MeSuzanna and MeSuzanna and Me

had to transfer from our comfortable mini bus to this truck, with a crazy driver who speed down muddy dirt roads....poor Suzanna was so frighten she and our original driver decided to get off and wait for us to return.
a truck which was quite adventurous but our driver was a little rectless and Suzzanna was scared and had to get off.

4th, i couldnt be bothered to try and explain that i wanted and was meant to go tubing as it was too late now and by the time we got to Shemuc Champey we only had 2 1/2 hours to see the place...there was time to swim but that would mean i couldnt see everything.

IT WAS WORTH IT IN THE END...although rushed i did make it to the top to the Mirador to look back down at the cascades.

Trying to get some compensation for the tour was wishfull thinking but we tried...Suzzanna really did not give in. The stupid Fat Dragon who sold us the tour was so unreasonable and horrible but worset of all very childish which actually entertained us when we thought back of all the silly things she did... we did get 80Q back which is nothing but covered our chicken dinner.

Semana Santa...It was good Friday strolling the street of Coban we stumbled acrross the locals working on their artwork in the streets we asked to help and they was more than happy to let us. They was so sweet and it was great seeing everyone working together from Young to old. Even till almost late evening they was still working away, knowingly that it will be destroy under the feet of the procession.








Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

It was all worth it!!!!...It was all worth it!!!!...
It was all worth it!!!!...

The cascades of Shemuc Champey...especially up at the mirador where there is no body else but you too enjoy its splendor.
Semana Santa In CobanSemana Santa In Coban
Semana Santa In Coban

Well i decided to stay in Coban for Easter instead of heading to Flores. Was really nice seeing everyone working together from young to old all day and night only to have the hard work been sacrifice under to feet of the procession. Reminded me off the sand Mandalin in Buddism. Very interesting how different religious have similar traditions and customs.
Coban semana Santa by nightCoban semana Santa by night
Coban semana Santa by night

There was cool artwork using friut and veg too... was kinda mellow atmosphere on the street not so like other festival where its involves a lot of music and performance. Still very nice to see
Ruins protruding through the forest.Ruins protruding through the forest.
Ruins protruding through the forest.

Well well.. this place is very cool, walking through the jungle climbing up temple 5 and admiring the ruins from the distant, whilst watching the spider monkey swing from tree tops, howling monkeys echoing in the distant, butterflies fluttering by and birds singing away.
Pelenque Ruins in MexicoPelenque Ruins in Mexico
Pelenque Ruins in Mexico

Well after Tikal, Pelenque as beutiful as it was it didnt seem as impressive. Its too touristy and very well kept that it looks more like a park that an archeological site. Whereas Tikal was literally admidst the jungle.
Hanging out with fellow travellers.Hanging out with fellow travellers.
Hanging out with fellow travellers.

Hanging out with some more Australians, it seems like i meet more of them here in central america and Mexico than in OZ.
The Cabanas In the jungle.The Cabanas In the jungle.
The Cabanas In the jungle.

Staying in the Cabanas in the jungle was great, chilling there playing music and simple enjoying the tranquilty of El Panchan.


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 15; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0598s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb