Trying to Learn Spanish in Guatemala


Advertisement
Published: March 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hola Amigos!!!!...

This last 2 weeks i have been staying in Panajachel in Guatemala studying Spanish.
Its a little village next to the beautiful lake Atitlan which is surrounded by volcanoes and many indigenous villages.
Its been great staying in one places for so long and actually also doing something new and productive.
Learning Spanish has been really difficult for me the first 2 days my head was simple pounding and i would be in bed by 9pm. After my first week i started to feel that it is finally sinking in my thick head and im able to build broken sentenses at this stage, on my own. Although its very difficult im still having a great time learning and i hope that with the little i have learnt it will give me the motivation to continue when i return back to England all where ever i choose to stay.

Here in Panajachel although its is very touristy and a their are a lot of tourist who have made it their residence here and there is a definitely older crowd, i love chatting to them.
Especially the lovely couple i got chatting too on my bus over from mexico
San AndreasSan AndreasSan Andreas

The great thing about the school is that they have activities every afternoon where some of the teacher will take you to surrounding Indigenous Villages where you get the opportunity to see and discuss the situation Guatemala local people which is a great for you to practice your spanish.
to Guatemala.
Initually i was planning to go to Xela to learn spanish as that was where Reut did hers and highly recommended it but they persuaded me saying that Panajachel was more arty and musical.
I stayed with them for the 1st two days whilst i got myself registered and sorted for my school.
They was so sweet making me pancakes for breakfast when i was with them and when i visit them they send me home with freshed homebaked sweet potatoe pie. Cant complain huh?

Also funnily i ended up bumping in too Karylin from San Cristabal (Mexico) here and some crazy canadian girls..was such a funny night everywhere closed so early here, we finished dinner and wanted some nice dessert and coffee, nothing was open and it took us ages to find somewhere which ended up being POOH!!!... but we kept ourself amused. When it comes to the night life here its also dissapointing everywhere is closed by 1pm just when things seemed to be getting started and also the standard of salsa here are pooh too.. although i got to know a salsa teacher here, so at less there is one good dancer to dance
Solola.Solola.Solola.

Here on one of our afternoon activities, we get to visit a Mayan textile factory where you can witness the threads being dyed and scarfs being made.
with....although he

Well i finish my schooling this next Monday and plan to start siteseeing Guatemala on Tuesday.
Having problems deciding where to go as i only have a week really and i dont want to rush around especially as it is Easter week and its meant to be big over here.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

San AntoniaSan Antonia
San Antonia

handmade & painted pottery and ceramics. Not a bad view to work from huh?
Hahaha...Thermales or Tamales?Hahaha...Thermales or Tamales?
Hahaha...Thermales or Tamales?

This was a hilarious afternoon... Our Teacher all speak very little English so when he said we was going to Santa Caterina for the Caliente Thermales, we all thought we was off to try some local grub. (Rice dish that has meat and wrapped in banana or corn leaves). It took his ages and only when we finally arrived that it finally hit us Hot water Springs!!!! Thermales!!! OH Deary Me.
Oh this was a fun activity!!!Oh this was a fun activity!!!
Oh this was a fun activity!!!

Making Toastados and some local drink with Platanos!!!.. everyone got involved and they tasted great!!!
Toastados!!!...Toastados!!!...
Toastados!!!...

Cant wait to make these for you guys when im back...but i have to find a tortilla machine as there is no way im gonna be making them by had like they do here...especially i know how Piggy you all are!!!
So Colourful and beautiful...  Chichicastenango Sunday Market!!!So Colourful and beautiful...  Chichicastenango Sunday Market!!!
So Colourful and beautiful... Chichicastenango Sunday Market!!!

..to see them still wearing their traditional attire and most of them continue speaking Mayan.
Le presente me maestro...FranciscaLe presente me maestro...Francisca
Le presente me maestro...Francisca

Hahaha... Oh boy she is patient!!!!... im so useless with learning a new language...she keeps threatening to discipline me for not doing my homework.
Ricardo..The FatherRicardo..The Father
Ricardo..The Father

His real funny always cracking jokes and teasing Caterina.
Caterina... The mother of the house.Caterina... The mother of the house.
Caterina... The mother of the house.

Shes up early making our breakfast, Lunch & Dinner 6 days a week.
How cute is she?..HemenaHow cute is she?..Hemena
How cute is she?..Hemena

Everyone experience is different!!!..Oh im so glad i didnt listen to other people when they say they had bad experience with staying with host family whilst studying Spanish...and trust in myself to make situation good.
Must be getting BROODY!!!!...Must be getting BROODY!!!!...
Must be getting BROODY!!!!...

Love playing with the kids... Ah this boy is the cutiest...so smart and ever so funny...actually the whole family are... (only kidding about being broody...as always love playing with them and then returning them to their parents.)
To finish of the host Family!!!... FrancesTo finish of the host Family!!!... Frances
To finish of the host Family!!!... Frances

Frances is the other student staying with the family... She is great, really loud and have the craziest laugh ever...Hilarious and totally entertains us all...actually she is good for my spanish, as i was too shy to practice my spanish untill she came, always asking and practicing her spanish everytime we was at the dinner table so im learning alot from the varies conversations we all have.
Music Festival in Santiago Atitlan!!Music Festival in Santiago Atitlan!!
Music Festival in Santiago Atitlan!!

Ashame the last boat back to Panajachel was 4:30, so we wasnt able to stay longer with all the hippies, drinking mojitos.
Me last Farewell meal with some fellow studentsMe last Farewell meal with some fellow students
Me last Farewell meal with some fellow students

Ah you gotta give Nancy & Andrew credit...travelling with a young kid in their Motorhome.


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb