Background: Once the center of the Caribbean slave trade, the island of Curacao was hard hit by the abolition of slavery in 1863. Its prosperity (and that of neighboring Aruba) was restored in the early 20th century with the construction of oil refineries to service the newly discovered Venezuelan oil fields. The island of Saint Martin is shared with France; its southern portion is named Sint Maarten and is part of the Netherlands Antilles; its northern portion is called Saint-Martin and is part of Guadeloupe (France).
Photos from Saba
Blogs from Saba
Latest Blogs from Saba
- March 28th 2008 Ninjo is now Nina and Joachim once more...
by Words: 125 Photos: 0
- December 25th 2007 Visitors, Caribbean Islands, Saba Day and Holidays
by Words: 732 Photos: 11
- November 8th 2007 Saba
by Words: 207 Photos: 17
- October 24th 2007 So what else are we up to on Saba?
by Words: 448 Photos: 6
- October 18th 2007 Lobster Dinner
by Words: 458 Photos: 7
- October 7th 2007 Hiking Mt. Scenery
by Words: 620 Photos: 11
- September 13th 2007 Living, Diving, Hiking and Eating on Saba
by Words: 609 Photos: 9
- August 17th 2007 Hurricane Dean has now passed Saba
by Words: 577 Photos: 7
- August 4th 2007 Saba!
by Words: 960 Photos: 7
- June 30th 2007 Nos photos de SABA
by Words: 64 Photos: 19
- June 26th 2007 SABA - Antilles
by Words: 171 Photos: 0
- January 4th 2007 Hiking in Saba
by Words: 662 Photos: 22