So what else are we up to on Saba?


Advertisement
Published: October 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Diving! We guide and point out stuff underwater and sometimes we can take our camera with us too. We are very happy with the diving here, but need to get some warmer wet suits as we tend to get cold in the end of our dives... and it is 29 celcius!

We meet for dinners often. Not too long ago we had a curry night! As Dai's leaving doo we had about 12 people over for curry. We were planning to have it outside, but the rain moved us all inside. I think we all would agree it was a fine cosy night with good food, good red wine and Canada participated with the music! Thank you Ken and Joachim. Most of the people joining this night were dive instructors from around the world; Canada, France, Wales, England, Holland, Denmark, Norway. We love the diversity of people working in this profession from different backgrounds and countries. GREAT!

Going for walks, well that is mostly Nina going for walks. Nevertheless Saba is a great place for hiking. Today I walked up the highest mountain in the Kingdom of Netherlands! When I started I could see the mountain top, but once up there the fog had moved in. Pretty cool to sit on top of a volcano in the fog! Once down again the fog was gone! AARRRRGGGHHH! After a quick run down, I was not up for another climb, but hopefully Joachim will join me more often! Follow the link and note that it is just as many walking trails as roads! www.sabatourism.com

Growing herbs and vegetables. After weeks of trying to get seeds down here on Saba or on the neighboring island St.Maartin we finally gave up and phoned Joachim's Mom. She did a fine job finding all the seeds we wanted and now we are farming proper. We are keeping an eye on it everyday as water is often needed. So far we have cucumber, basil, chillies (three different kinds), oregano, coriander, lettuce (two kinds), tomatoes, parsley, chives, cumin, thyme and mint. OH and of course sunflowers, but not for eating. We hope they all grow big and strong and our fresh herb/vegetable issue on the island is over!


And just in case you forgot: this its the rock we live on: Saba Island on Google map

Hope you are all good where ever you might be!

Nina and Joachim



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The Needle The Needle
The Needle

Dive site: Third Encounter, Saba


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb