Lakeside


Advertisement
Bahamas' flag
Central America Caribbean » Bahamas
November 4th 2011
Published: November 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hola
Said farewell to Antigua and the lovely Cecila my very patient Spanish tutor and 5 of us headed for lake Atitlan(a kiwi, Brit, an American, an isralei and me) and took a 6hour minibus to the lake. 5 hours were perfectly pleasant but the road down to the lake through the mountains was rough and full of potholes. 

Arrived in the dark so got a lovely surprise in the morning it was so beautiful. We choose San Pedro town but there ate about 15 others around the lake to choose from. 

First day was spent kayaking on the lake followed by  a massive Halloween party being hosted by our hostel (Yo Mammas) which went on till the early hours all back to ours after the pubs kicked us out. 

Sunday was a bit of a write off but back on track Monday when 5 was down to two me and Helen and we headed off on a chicken bus to the national park for some hiking and finish with some ziplining over looking the lake - it was fantastic. 

Tuesday we spent the day on the boat going from village to village around the lake - all Mayan communities in full dress and just watching them go about there business. It was "todos del dia" day of the dead (all souls day to us) a pretty big deal here mostly involving kite flying in all the villages and it was lovely. Found a worship sight where about 50 locals were on there knees chanting and singing. It was really cool actually. 

Really enjoyed the lake, well worth a visit. Next stop Lanqin to visit Semuc champy alot of people's Guatemala highlight so bring it on .....

Best of luck to Mountcollins on Sunday for the replay - bring on senior football


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0936s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb