Semuc Champey


Advertisement
Published: November 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Left the lovely Lago Atitlan and headed back via Antigua to what we have been told is the highlight of Guatemala, a little town called Lankin in order to visit Semuc Champey - and wow were we not disappointed. The 12 hour journey 11 of which were quiet pleasant but the last hour was through a dirt road (road is stretching it a little) in the pitch black bouncing up and down in the back of a minivan which was not made for these roads not that this deterred our driver.

Finally we arrived in the dark to a little hostel in the middle of the hills with plenty of charm. Following morning I was totally blown away by the view from our room we really were in the middle of the highlands and it was stunning. We headed off on a truck with 20 of us packed in the back standing up handing on for dear life heading for Caving and Semuc Champey.

We spent two hours in the caves carrying only a candle for light and trying to swim through water holes, climb ladders avoid bats and take in all our surroundings. It was totally incredible and a fantastic experience. As you can imagine cameras were not very practial so you will have to trust me that it was amazing. From there we headed out to the rope swing and bridge where lots of the group had lots of jumps me not included!!! It really isnt for me jumping from a height and landing in water being the scariest part.

After lunch we finally headed to el Mirador (the View point). This was about an hour hike pretty much directly up and pretty tough to get a view of Semuc Champey before heading down again to the water.

Semuc Champey is basically a naturally formed limestone bridge where 95% of the river gushes underground and the 5% remaining forms these amazing torquise pools and waterfalls that flow all the way down to where the water reemerges and wow was it spectacular. Really the pictures tell the story better than I ever could. We spent a couple of hours at the pools and sliding down to each various level before getting back on the truck back to our lodge. It was definatley one of my highlights. Really awkward to get to and not alot of tourists but totally worth it. Next to Rio Dulce before heading down to Hondorus to see the bay islands.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 53, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb