Kayaking Alligator Creek


Advertisement
Bahamas' flag
Central America Caribbean » Bahamas
February 1st 2008
Published: February 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

CairnCairnCairn

Beach Day- yohoo! Jay added rocks to this impressive cairn.
We had the song “Go down to Cat Island” stuck in our head as we sailed to Cat Island, go figure. And as land came into sight we were excited to be here at this quiet and remote out-island. Our first stop was an anchorage just north of Alligator Creek, which we looked forward to exploring the next day. So we set the hook and enjoyed a calm night of star-gazing. It was wonderfully dark and there was no other boat in sight, a perfect night on anchor.

The wind picked up the next day to 20-25 knots so we decided to postpone our kayak trip for another day. And besides, there was a lovely little beach that we could have all for ourselves. So we packed up a cooler, a tennis ball for Kona, umbrellas and books and headed to the beach for an official “beach day”. It was great to just relax and play in the sun. Jay added some rocks to a pre-existing cairn, so I guess we aren’t the only ones who have discovered this private beach (although it sure felt that way).

The wind died down the next day and we were excited to
Alligator CreekAlligator CreekAlligator Creek

Really should be called Turtle Creek, as there are no alligators.
splash the kayaks and paddle Alligator Creek. Although why is it called Alligator Creek? We wondered. Are there alligators there? Don’t alligators live in fresh water swamps in Florida? Not in salt water creeks in the Bahamas? Shouldn’t it be Crocodile Creek then? If there are any crocodiles to start with. Well- I guess there is one sure way to find out, so off we went.

Turns out it should be called Turtle Creek, as there are an abundance of sea turtles who live there (no alligators or crocodiles- thankfully). It was awesome to glide quietly along in the kayaks and have a sea turtles pop their heads out of the water just a few yards away. They make a loud noise when they surface, believe it or not, kind of like when a dolphin comes up for air- totally cool. And we also saw lots of bonefish and yellow tail snappers and egrets and hawks as we explored thru the mangroves of this creek. What a super-duper day!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

KayakKayak
Kayak

Jay exploring Alligator Creek.
Jen and KonaJen and Kona
Jen and Kona

Exploring the creek by dinghy.


8th February 2008

That water is an incredible blue
Looks like fun!

Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 155; dbt: 0.1571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb