Little San Salvador


Advertisement
Bahamas' flag
Central America Caribbean » Bahamas
January 30th 2008
Published: February 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Another Beautiful BeachAnother Beautiful BeachAnother Beautiful Beach

The beach at Little San Salvador, which we had all t ourselves (good thing the cruise ship didn't show up.
After riding out a couple of cold fronts, Chris Parker (the weather guru for sailors) predicted that we were to have a week of glorious weather. A high pressure ridge was going to put a stop to all those nasty cold fronts from reaching us here in the Bahamas- yohoo! Our original plan was to go back up and explore more of Eleuthera, but we changed our mind once we heard this lovely weather prediction. We decided to continue south to Little San Salvador and Cat Island, two places that you need good weather to visit. And seeing that Powell Pointe was the jumping off place for these destinations, it was a go. So we set sail for Little San Salvador.

Little San Salvador is a small deserted island, except for the two times a week when a cruise ship stops there. Then the population suddenly increases to 10,000 and this quiet, peaceful anchorage gets overrun with jet skis, banana boat, and para sailors- whew! Luckily we avoided a run in with this particular situation and had the long stretch of beautiful pink sand beach all to ourselves.

One of the main reasons we had wanted to visit this
Rough ConditionsRough ConditionsRough Conditions

The seas were really rough here at Little San Salvador. It was awesom to watch the waves crash against the rocks, but not safe to spear man-size lobster- boo.
place was that we have heard that it has fantastic fishing there; in fact one of our friends caught a man-sized lobster in the reef just north of the island. Sounded great to us! So we grabbed all the snorkel gear, hopped in the dinghy, and went out to the reef to go spear-fishing. But unfortunately the water was too rough to dive in; it looked like a washing machine out by the reef and we deemed it too dangerous. So the lobster got away that day… but we will be back, oh yes, we will be back for the man-size lobster someday.

That night at anchorage was a bit rough as well; we were getting rolled from side to side in the surge and were not able to sleep a wink. So the next morning, after daylight broke, we decided to move onto Cat Island and a calmer anchorage.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

NeighborNeighbor
Neighbor

This is the boat that anchored next to us at Little San Salvador; a brand new, 170 foot long catch- what a pretty boat.


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.036s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb