Grand Bahama Island Visit


Advertisement
Published: October 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Old Bahama Bay - West EndOld Bahama Bay - West EndOld Bahama Bay - West End

Larry took Saturday off and stayed with us all day. We decided to drive out to the West End to see the development out there.
Saturday and Sunday

We had great fun last night at Shenanigan's. On Saturday we spent the day with Larry and Melia. After a few morning drinks, we drove out to West End to Old Bahama Bay Resort. I had heard that there was a lot of development out there after I left the island. Al Jones was working with the Ginn Corporation and leading the development here.

Unfortunately, Al was off the island, so we were not able to see him. But we toured the area and then went to the marina for lunch.

We had all heard that John Travolta's 16-year-old son, Jett, died on January 2nd, at the family's vacation home in Old Bahama Bay. The family, including Jett Travolta's mother, Kelly Preston, and his 8-year-old sister, Ella, had been celebrating the New Year in The Bahamas.

So we checked the marina and found that his sailboat, the Ella Bleu, was still moored at the dock. It was a tragic story made worse by an attempt of some Bahamians to extort from John millions of dollars. I knew the lead extortionist, Pleasant Bridgewater, who was a member of Bahamian Parliament while I lived there. Hopefully,
Old Bahama Bay - West EndOld Bahama Bay - West EndOld Bahama Bay - West End

Great friends. Larry would give you his last shirt if you asked him for it. Most generous and fun loving person I've ever met.
she will be convicted for this terrible act.

On Sunday, we drove out to see our old home and the neighboring area. More houses have been built around the area but other than that it was pretty much the same. The whole island felt abandoned, however. It was strange.

Afterwards, we drove over to Island Reef Resort and Marina to spend the day with our friends, Bob and Debra Stacy. They have a nice sailboat that they live on while on the island. They also have a house in Las Vegas and in Vancouver, Canada. Bob was a pilot for Canadian Air and is now retired.

We had great fun with them cruising the waterways in their motorized rubber dingy.

On Monday morning we left the island for home. It was great to take a break in the tropics. When we returned we found that my car had been hit by our neighbor. He was nice enought to admit the mistake and I had the ding repaired shortly afterwards.

That's it for now.




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Old Bahama Bay - West EndOld Bahama Bay - West End
Old Bahama Bay - West End

There is a great marina in West End. There are lots of nice yatchs and sailboats. Sadly, this one is John Travolta's sailboat. No one has seen John since the tragedy.
Old Bahama Bay - West EndOld Bahama Bay - West End
Old Bahama Bay - West End

Jackie in front of the Ella Bleu, Travolta's yacht.
Bloody MaryBloody Mary
Bloody Mary

No, Bloody Jackie to be correct. She made some wonderful morning drinks for the island life. Thank's Babe!
Larry and MeliaLarry and Melia
Larry and Melia

Sitting on the Dock of the Bay, watching the time waste away! This is the Island Bay Resort.
Club CaribeClub Caribe
Club Caribe

We have so many memories from this beach bar. It was a short walk from our home in Freeport. It has changed a lot since we lived here.
Ocean Reef MarinaOcean Reef Marina
Ocean Reef Marina

On Sunday, we spent the day with Bob & Debra Stacy. While here, they live on their sailboat and we enjoyed cruising around the area on their motorized dingy.
Ocean Reef MarinaOcean Reef Marina
Ocean Reef Marina

Jackie loves Bob's sailboat. She once stayed with them in a marina in Miami on this yacht.
Ocean Reef MarinaOcean Reef Marina
Ocean Reef Marina

Friends on the Lucayan Waterway. It was a beautiful day.
Ocean Reef MarinaOcean Reef Marina
Ocean Reef Marina

It was cooling down as the sun set. It is February, after all.
Ocean Reef MarinaOcean Reef Marina
Ocean Reef Marina

Tom says, I could live this life! Why am I still working? Wait, I don't work. Bahama Life, here I come!
My 535i BMWMy 535i BMW
My 535i BMW

We left my baby in the condo garage since I was worried that it could get damaged if left in the airport parking lots. Here's what I found when we returned. My first ding! Dang!


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb