Aruba


Advertisement
Aruba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Aruba » Oranjestad
September 12th 2012
Published: September 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

November 2009

We arrived in the capital city of Aruba, Oranjestad for the second time via cruise ship. On this trip it was the first stop on our Panama Canal cruise aboard the Island Princess, one of many Princess Cruise ships.

Like our last visit to Aruba we did not venture away from Lloyd G. Smith Boulevard, an easy walk from the cruise ship. We were only in port until 2:30 so just visiting the many shops and two casinos along the boulevard would take up most of that time.

Along the waterfront you will find the small, what I call "bartering" shops that have the million and one tourist items you can pick up for next to nothing. On our last trip this is where we nabbed a couple of old Aruba license plates as souvenirs for the boys.

It was before 9:00 A.M. and most of the shops had not yet opened. Luckily, the Dunkin Donuts was open, so we enjoyed a sweet treat on a hot and humid Aruba morning.

After our donut we spent the morning walking along the waterfront, picking up a few postcards, gambling at one of the local casinos, grabbing a local bands CD, and enjoying a cold drink at a restuarant/bar that had a balcony overlooking the action along the street. After a stop at the post office, and picking up a free bracelet in the ship approved jewelry shop, we made our way back to the ship.

Aruba does offer beach activities, scuba and snorkeling, glass bottom boat tours, golf, and 4WD safari trips. Just what you expect at any Caribbean port.

A nice return trip for us, but too short a visit after sailing for two days.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.323s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb