Background: Discovered and claimed for Spain in 1499, Aruba was acquired by the Dutch in 1636. The island's economy has been dominated by three main industries. A 19th century gold rush was followed by prosperity brought on by the opening in 1924 of an oil refinery. The last decades of the 20th century saw a boom in the tourism industry. Aruba seceded from the Netherlands Antilles in 1986 and became a separate, autonomous member of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. Movement toward full independence was halted at Aruba's request in 1990.
Blogs from Aruba
Latest Blogs from Aruba
- December 9th 2012 Aruba 3-2009
by Words: 30 Photos: 3
- September 12th 2012 Aruba
by Words: 286 Photos: 2
- August 25th 2012 Pics from Nepal
by Words: 16 Photos: 40
- July 16th 2012 Ik ga op reis en neem mee...
by Words: 1030 Photos: 7
- May 1st 2012 Dankbaar!
by Words: 1015 Photos: 8
- February 4th 2012 Een nieuw huis, een 'nieuwe' auto, nieuwe vrienden!
by Words: 429 Photos: 13
- January 19th 2012 THE CARIBBEAN
by Words: 915 Photos: 16
- January 12th 2012 Mijn eerste werkweek (and a half)
by Words: 996 Photos: 0
- December 31st 2011 All the best for 2012 !
by Words: 1015 Photos: 7
- December 17th 2011 I have arrived on a rainy Aruba
by Words: 241 Photos: 2
- April 13th 2011 another day @ zeerovers
by Words: 42 Photos: 51
- April 11th 2011 party in the night aruba
by Words: 9 Photos: 18
- April 11th 2011 sunset trip with john on the astrea
by Words: 71 Photos: 23
- April 11th 2011 day @ zeerovers! with marchelino noa and arno!
by Words: 49 Photos: 46
- April 11th 2011 moomba beach!
by Words: 64 Photos: 33
- April 8th 2011 last week aruba!
by Words: 86 Photos: 0
- April 7th 2011 aruba carneval
by Words: 1 Photos: 18
- March 7th 2011 Carribbean Cruise - First stop: Aruba
by Words: 331 Photos: 14
- March 7th 2011 DAY TEN
by Words: 809 Photos: 0
- February 13th 2011 Aruba
by Words: 142 Photos: 8