Monday the 26th of September


Advertisement
Aruba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Aruba » Santa Cruz
September 26th 2022
Published: September 27th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Time to move out of La Cabana to our next Airbnb, but first….

Last snorkel – perhaps – at the n.e. end of the island, getting in at the Infinity pool as usual. It was nice and clear and we were the only people out there so early. Saw a big green moray eel, but he wouldn’t come out to be photographed. We did see (photo) a couple riding those powered fin boards, or whatever they are called. Amazing balance!

We had to check out by 10 am, which was tight. So tight that we when we unpacked at Roxanne’s we realized I’d completely forgotten to empty one of the side drawers, so we had to go back and wait for housekeeping to retrieve the things, which thankfully they had. It included our 2 containers of maple syrup, including one for our new landlady – which is how we discovered the omission! How patient David was with me!

And we thought we might as well have a very late breakfast at Linda’s, where we avoided pancakes and split an omelet instead. Mary Jane, our server friend, couldn’t believe the photo of the ruby-topaz hummingbird we showed her. And she confessed that she had never been to the Spanish Lagoon for about 20 years.

And while we were up at that end of the island we simply had to check out the pile of builder’s dirt where the burrowing owl family had lived last year. Yes, they were still there, 4 of them anyway. They are so darned cute.

We also stopped by Superfoods again for another bit of grocery shopping, unpacked, and then went off to Spanish Lagoon yet again to see if late afternoon was better for finding the hummers. Still not many and no new photos.

We had also stopped by the fish market near Mangel Halto but they didn’t have any fish for sale, so we ended up with cheese and tomato sandwiches for dinner. Oh well.

The day wrapped up with a lovely time in the pool after the sun had set. We decided to stay in until we saw 10 stars. It took a while, and then they just started popping out until there were dozens in view. This is way nicer than the noisy bar area at La Cabana. Roxanne’s place is simple, and the furniture and walls are scuffed and the towels rough (no dryer) but it is very homey and so peaceful. She gave us some mangoes from the tree, which will hopefully be ripe tomorrow. We vowed to eat breakfast outside.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0192s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb