Malaysia and Singapore


Advertisement
Asia
February 14th 2009
Published: February 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well after another 14 hour journey we make it to our second country and arrive in Penang, an island off mainland Malaysia. For all of those who dont know Malaysia is where my mum and Aunt spent most of their childhood growing up as my Grandfather was a Wing Commander in the RAF. Immediately after crossing the border from Thailand to Malaysia things began to change. Temples turned into mosques, mopeds turned into salon cars and the Thai writing turned into an almost legible western alphabet. Malaysia seems much more wealthy, Westernised with a large British influence (Malaysia only gained independence from us pesky Brits in 1957) and unlike Thailand (which is predominantly Bhuddist) The majority of Malay's are Muslim (54%). We cross the sea in a car ferry and land in Georgetown; which after Thailand; and at night looked like a mini Hong Kong with its tall buildings and illuminous lights. We get a taxi to Batu Ferringhi ( the largest bech resort on the island) and get there around 10pm. Our first night's accomodation wasn't quite the Ritz................. but if you're paying 4 pounds a night you cant really complain! This probably ranked within the top 3 worst places to stay so far. This was compounded by the fact we were awoken at 5.45 am by the Islamic sermon being projected by several speakers from the local mosque which seemed to resinate on EACH AND EVERY CORROGATED STEEL WALL THERE WAS. And the bloody thing didnt stop. Not for another hour!!! And anyone familiar with the Islamic faith (as I am slightly, after serving my stint in Leicester) this happens 5 times a day. Ok ok I know we're in as Islamic country and therefore have to respect that; but the idea of waking up to that for the next 5 days wasn't very appealing so we headed to the thicker walled des res next door. Twice the price; but private bathrooms, WiFi, Air Con and no unwanted early morning wake up call. Bliss.

The beach at Batu Ferringhi was very nice; although the sand not quite as white and the sea not quite as crystal clear as Thailand. A real mixed bag of tourists too- Chinese, Indian, European (alot of old couple again) and rich Malays. We also began to realise as well that Malaysia is such a hugely culturily diverse country. Nearly 50% of it's citizens do not have Malaysian ancestory- mainly originating from India and China. And unlike us very PC Britiains they really are quite racist! (or freedom of speech I'm sure they refer to it as) Chinese dont like the Indians and visa versa.......I'm sure this isnt the general rule; but this is what we found. And we got hassled on a day to day basis. Obviously we were used to it coming from Thailand; but Thai men just basically wanted your business. Malay's (esp Indian Malays) can speak very good English; and they wouldnt leave us alone!!!!! They were quite pervy. It got very annoying and embarressing after a while; but the Chinese men were a lot more respectful and gave you some space.

We spent most of our days there (5 in total) sunbathing of course, and I had a ride on a horse (his name was Black Boy- very original when you see the picture- we was 7 and he liked to eat carrots and apples). They also had a great market there where you could just about get every single fake bag, purse, watch, sunglasses under the sun- so dad please expect a large cardboard box we had shipped addressed to you in the next 3 months!! We also found this fab restaurant called Ferringhi Garden which we wenty to twice and it was devine; such a night setting, really nice ambience, service and the food was immense. For 2 starters and 2 mains it came to 16 pounds (sorry I have no pound signs!) But as I was dining; we also ordered the house white wine which was also 16 pounds per bottle (there is no cheap wine in Malaysia- trust me Ive looked!!) but 16 pounds each for that is still a real bargain. Penang was roughly about the same prices as Thailand, people said it would be a lot more expensive but it really depends where you go and what you order. I also ate my first Malaysian curry there too and it was yummy- not too hot either....... So all in all it was just a very chilled relaxed time in Batu; although I wouldnt have wanted to spend longer there- there just wasnt enough young people or enough things to do.

So Tues the 10th we part with 115 Ringitt (22 pounds) and head to Kuala Lumpur which compared to the rest of the journeys is a blissful 6 hour coach ride (yes mum, we sit in the middle; the safest seats). The minute we arrive in the suburbs of KL the whole sky turns black and there is an almighty thunder storm, fork lightening the lot. Proper flash flood (re: the piccies). We get dropped off in the middle of KL about 7pm and I've never seen rain like it!!! We manage to flag down a cab and get to our hostel which is really nice and clean and get sorted. I have a cold from hell from the horriffic air con in the latest place so we pop out and get a Nando's (I know, I know an American Mexican restaurant in KL- but its what we fancied ok???) Oh and for 2 starters 2 mains and 3 cokes each it works out to be 12 pounds. We get skanked in the UK! That meal would have been double in a UK Nandos!!!!! And because I'm poorly sick we stay in and go sleepy nan nights. The next day we do some sight seeing; we go to The KL Tower (5th tallest tower in the world) and the views from the top are spectacular; where ever you look up in KL, the view is just incredible- so many sky scrapers....... and there was a cool zoo at the bottom which I think we spend most of the day in!! We also go to the Petronas towers, which when built were the tallest buildings in the world, but now the second after Taipai 101. We decided not to go up this one (I tend to jinx twin towers!!) and instead head to the shops underneath instead which were amazing.... Tiffany's Gucci, Chanel, prada, everything you could wish for. That night we decide on a night out in KL so we head to Jalan P Ramlee which is the main nightlife area. This street is eclipsed by the tall towers, and at night when they're all lit up its just breathtaking. We go to a few bars but there ARE NO WESTERNERS just lots and lots of Malaysian women wearing NOTHING (we were told we would have to cover up in KL but we didnt feel the need to at all; and these local girls went out in see through neglige, and hot pants and belly tops!! We felt under dressed!!) The only westerners were a spattering of old men in suits who I assume work in KL. And I think these girls weren't quite what they seemed...... Hannah was asked how much would she charge for a night with this Indian man!!! Ha ha ha so I think these girls were in that kind of industry as well- so it was basically just a more up market Patong Beach if you catch my drift!! We head back nearer to our hostel (right on the edge of China Town- great vibe, market, bars etc) and we go to the 'Reggae Reggae Bar' Owned by a 28 year old Chinese man called Robert obviously!!?? Chinese are very powerful in KL, most of the banks are owned by them- they certainly know how to make money. We get quite pissed and smoke some shisha and then bed. KL is probably the most expensive destination we have been to yet. 2 bottles of Carlsburg beer 50 Ringitt.... 10 pounds...... Don't you love it that beer is always the international currency measure!??

Our last day in KL and we are quite over hung so we just chill out in the day and get some Chinese food from China town at night. We get chatting to this Australian man and he starts telling us that every time he comes to KL on business he has 2 fish spas- one when he arrives and one when he leaves. Yes that's right FISH SPAS!!!! You may have seen them on TV, its a craze that's sweeping Asia; basically you put your crummy, sweaty, backpacking feet in some water and have lots of little fishies come and suck all the bacteria off your feet!! Nice!! We werent sure at first; but looking at the state of our feet; discovering that its only 7 pounds AND they chuck in a free neck and shoulder massage, we thought why the devil not. IT WAS THE WEIRDEST SENSATION IVE EVER ENDURED. It goes against all your natural instincts- when you first put your feet in they swarm around you like pirranhas!! Some of them are quite big!! And all I can describe it as is very tickily pins and needles. My feet did feel a whole lot better afterwards, but I think in the future I'll just stick to a regular pedicure!!!!

So the next day we leave Malaysia and head to Singapore; where I'm writing this to you now. We did like Malaysia but we have never ever felt like such freak shows, esp in KL. I think because we're so big, blonde and twins..... they just treat us like we've just landed from planet Zog!! Seriously!! The phrase "its rude to stare/gawp/harrass/touch" certainly doesnt apply to these people. And just as we're getting our heads round the currency conversion rates, we move onto another destination and have to start all over again!!

Singapore its amazing- it seems the more south you come, the more rich, westernised, clean, and sophisticated the destinations become. You could literally eat your dinner off the pavements here! We dont feel like so much of a freak show here in Singapore either; we went on a guided tour today, sunbathed in the Singapore botanical Gardens and had a very yummy Valentines 3 course lunch to make up for that fact we have no boys to take us out!!! But the prices here are so much more than every where else; basically English prices- our meal with wine was 50 quid..... fags 6 pounds.... beer 4 pounds....... so its a good job we're only spending 2 nights here!!

So we're off to Oz tomorrow, landing at 8am on our 26th B'days............ we really have enjoyed our first trip to Asia; people on the whole are friendly and helpful, the culture is really interesting, the sights are breath taking and the food!! Wonderful; not to mention cheap as chips............ or noodles maybe. What also amazed us is just how far reaching English is and our English legacy....... 90% of people speak English, not to mention the signs, menus, music, TV, newspapers, magazines everything! Which for us is a great bonus. I will be back in Asia at some point............ everyone in Thailand was raving about Loas, Cambodia and Vietnam (the new Thailand I expect in a few years) and I would also like to go to Indonesia, Phillipines, Hong Kong and Japan...... all in good time.......

So from here I'll say 'syanara'; and next time I'll speak to you it'll be 'Gudday'

As always much love xxxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 125, Displayed: 29


Advertisement



15th February 2009

Happy Birthday!
Enjoy your 26th ladies (if I've not sent this too late), and for God's sake get a bloody spellchecker for a present to each other, so I can stop wanting to edit as I read!!! Seriously, have a great B-day and keep taking lots of care. Much love, Old Dear xx
16th February 2009

Happy Birthday
Wow - looks like your both having an amazing time and the things you've have seen :) HAPPY BIRTHDAY to both of you and hope to see ya soon... Luv Matt x x x x x x x x

Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0646s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb