Russia conquered Uzbekistan in the late 19th century. Stiff resistance to the Red Army after World War I was eventually suppressed and a socialist republic set up in 1924. During the Soviet era, intensive production of "white gold" (cotton) and grain led to overuse of agrochemicals and the depletion of water supplies, which have left the land poisoned and the Aral Sea and certain rivers half dry. Independent since 1991, the country seeks to gradually lessen its dependence on agriculture while developing its mineral and petroleum reserves. Current concerns include terrorism by Islamic militants, economic stagnation, and the curtailment of human rights and democratization.To be updated
• To be updated • • • • • • • • •
Tips and Hints
To be updated
Photos from Uzbekistan
Blogs from Uzbekistan
Latest Blogs from Uzbekistan
- March 7th 2014 Did I enjoy Bukhara?
by Words: 1345 Photos: 91
- February 16th 2014 This is why I cycle Uzbekistan!
by Words: 1614 Photos: 107
- February 7th 2014 Samarkand: majesty in Uzbekistan
by Words: 1577 Photos: 260
- January 25th 2014 Tashkent: a good intro to Uzbekistan
by Words: 965 Photos: 140
- December 29th 2013 Boratland here I come ....до свидания Uzbekistan it's been real..........
by Words: 1209 Photos: 17
- October 27th 2013 Sorry! It's been a long time since I've been on......
by Words: 390 Photos: 96
- October 6th 2013 Samarkand, part deux: Naar de geboortegrond van Timur en inkopen doen
by Words: 2704 Photos: 40
- October 5th 2013 Samarkand: mooie Antica B&B, grotere en imposante bezienswaardigheden, maar ook beter?
by Words: 1719 Photos: 37
- October 2nd 2013 Tashkent: wat historie, pracht en praal en de aanwezige overheid
by Words: 1425 Photos: 29
- October 2nd 2013 Bukhara: historie, sfeer en geldperikelen
by Words: 1745 Photos: 48
- October 1st 2013 Robbert gaat verder met Barbara Oezbekistan in
by Words: 1732 Photos: 18
- September 30th 2013 Cycling the worst road in the World!
by Words: 1621 Photos: 80
- September 10th 2013 Methuselah On The Move - Update 4 (Khiva to Samarkand)
by Words: 4909 Photos: 14
- August 30th 2013 Methuselah On The Move - Update 3 (Tashkent)
by Words: 2218 Photos: 9
- June 30th 2013 Arriving in Tashkent Was Challenging
by Words: 847 Photos: 35
- June 9th 2013 Uzbekistan and Russia : it's my dream come true...May 2013
by Words: 7681 Photos: 73
- May 22nd 2013 Following the ancient Silk Road - Visiting amazing Uzbekistan
by Words: 34 Photos: 11
- April 24th 2013 Yurt camp wind down
by Words: 599 Photos: 0
- April 22nd 2013 Khiva
by Words: 420 Photos: 0
- April 19th 2013 Wasn't that a party
by Words: 641 Photos: 0