Cu Chi Tunnels n the Mekong Delta


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Southeast » Ho Chi Minh City » Cu Chi
February 23rd 2008
Published: February 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Last day in Cambodia.

I believe our last blog left you with a taste of the temples in Cambodia. Well, since then we went to an orphanage which was recommended to us by an old friend. Many of the orphanges also cater for the street children of Phnomh Penh. These orphanages are government funded but with very little money., and that was evident when we arrived with few facilities for the children to use and a classroom made from corrugated iron (no interactive whiteboards here teachers). The children and the mananger was most welcoming and we managed to get by on very little english. Our Tuk Tuk driver took us to the market on the way there as it was advised that we took something that the children had a shortage of. For example, rice, pencils etc. We bought a couple of mozzy nets which protected fourteen children from dengue and malaria out here. We think they were most grateful.


Vietnam

Saigon has been a great experience for us so far. Like all other cities in South Asia, the roads are lethal and we can't understand why few people are killed on them out here. Atleast it's the law to wear helmets out here unlike Cambodia.

We spent the day yesterday on the Mekong Delta which was little disappointing, but very cheap. It was rather touristy and we got taken to many craft stalls that sold overpriced trash. The Mekong Delta is humungous and runs through many countries in south Asia. The Meking Delta is renowned for its floating market which sadly we mijssed due to our arrival time. Many of the boats specialize in selling one thing for example melons, or sweet potatos. To advertise their produce, they spear it onto a bamboo cane and hang it off the front of the boat.

Today we visited the Cu chi tunnels. The famous 250km long labyrinth of tunnels that the Viet Cong used during the war to hide and protect themselves. What with the Vietnamese being very small people, the tunnels were 50cm wide and 80cm in height. Yes, we did venture down one but, it had been widened for the chubby westerners to almost twice the size.
Crawling on your hands and kness and on your belly for a fair distance made us exit the tunnels dripping with sweat and really getting a feel for what it must have been like for the families that once lived down them for up to 6 years sometimes.

Tomorrow we make our way to the beach at Mui Ne for a couple days rest away from the hectic city life, and we thought London was busy!

Hope you're all good and thinking of you all often

Boothies abroad




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

A pre lunch dipA pre lunch dip
A pre lunch dip

Not the cleanest of rivers this one.


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb