Enjoying the chaos in Hanoi


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
September 29th 2009
Published: October 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Marinated snake and scorpion vodka any one?


Or choose from the many fish swimming around in buckets in the local market?


The market is fascinating and so colourful with flowers, masks, food and people driving down the lanes on their motorbikes. One lady allowed us to try her Vietnamese basket and hat if we brought some pineapple for 50.000 dong. It was fun but I wouldn’t quit my day job!





We chose to stay in the old town with its labyrinthine streets and allies which are too small for cars. The area is bustling with activity and it was nice to sit and watch or wonder around, we ended up staying a total for four nights which was more than enough. Our accommodation had everything we needed and was for 16 US a night, which was the most we paid the whole trip and it included a free breakfast.






Hanoi was a shopper’s paradise with everything you could imagine crammed into one small area. I also found there were lots of nice clothes shops which I would have indulged in if I had not been on such a strict budget.
One man was unloading a truck full of huge blocks of ice ready to be cut up and distributed around the restaurants. One day I also saw a Vietnamese child waiting on a parked motorbike with a curly blond wig on, hahaha I had to laugh.





Hoan Kiem Lake is situated in the middle of the old town and in the middle of the lake is Ngoc Son Temple. We went over a small bridge to have a look at the front of the temple, but decided against going in. We enjoyed walking around the lake even though we got caught in a huge rain storm and had to hide with the locals under an arch.
One night we went to a water puppet show which I thought was fantastic, Dale was a bit unsure if he wanted to go but we really enjoyed it and had a bit of a laugh. We have really enjoyed Vietnam and can’t believe it’s time to leave onto Malaysia.




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

YumYum
Yum

Cant wait to have a drink now
Drink anyone?Drink anyone?
Drink anyone?

Now I cant wait even more!


20th October 2009

It is very interesting. I come from Vietnam. You really feel for the warmth of hanoi. Thanks Welcome to Vietnam!

Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb