DEATH ON THE ROAD (NOT US!)


Advertisement
Vietnam's flag
Asia » Vietnam » Red River Delta » Hanoi
February 20th 2009
Published: February 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hi readers

Well we are still in Hanoi and have moved to another hotel which is just as nice plus we have a bowl of fruit put in our room every day. Yesterday after settling in we decided to take the walk recommended in the Lonely Planet around the old quarter of the city. Very interesting as there were specific roads dedicated to toys, shoes, DIY, spices, blacksmiths, silver jewellery, silk, cigarettes, sweets etc. Stopped and had a ginger tea (which is our favourite at the moment) and on the way back suddenly heard a lot of wailing and crying and as we approached saw an ambulance and as we were waiting to pass through out came a dead body covered in a blanket, don't know if it was male or female but there were bandages on the head and off it went to the morgue. We were told that it had been a motor bike accident - no surprises there as they are absolutely mad on the roads. Back to the hotel - Lyn had a bad stomach and that is all I will say on the subject! I stayed in that evening and Bob went out to eat alone (aahhh!). When he returned he told me that as he left the restaurant a woman on the back of a motorbike came over and asked him where he was going. He told her that he was going back to the hotel and she offered to come with him until he told her that his wife would be there! Scary!

Today we had booked a visit to Halong Bay that by all accounts was beautiful. Perhaps it was but today not as the weather was very overcast and misty and actually bloody cold. On the minibus to Halong we passed another dead body that was pretty gruesome and the guy had gone under a truck and most of his lower leg was missing with bits of bone and gore. Also there was a very ornate coffin on the hard shoulder. This is not the place to rent a motorbike or even a car. The journey there was pretty scary as the driver kept overtaking when trucks and cars were coming towards us. They do not appear to slow down but flash their headlamps and toot their horns. Also no passenger seatbelts and the driver didn't wear his. Halong Bay was full of tourists and boats - about 500. We eventually got to the pier and for those of you who knows Lyn's phobia about gangways and stairs with nothing either side will know how scared she is. I had to wait for Bob to take my hand and as he did Bob said to one of the sailors "My wife is very nervous" (in his best, loud Borat accent - the kids will understand this). The boat headed towards an amazing huge cavern that was only re-discovered in 1993 by fisherman taking shelter from a storm - unbelievable really but it was very impressive. Apparently early tribes had lived there. A good hearty meal was served on the boat. Opposite sat a Vietnamese family with a six year old girl who was very friendly. In fact very friendly as Bob was standing on the deck the little girl came up and took hold of his hand which was fine but then she proceeded to play pat a cake on his behind which made Bob feel extremely uncomfortable - the girl's parents thought this hilarious!!! Anyway paedo Bob moved away and came and sat down. The journey back on the minibus was equally scary as by now it was dark and wet and only some of the cars and motorbikes had lights. One young girl suddenly appeard between our minibus and a lorry that was getting very close to our bus - the girl could have been sandwiched. Lots of bikes just weaving in and out. Obviously got home in one piece - booked a taxi for 6.00 a.m. to take us to Hanoi airport for our onward journey to Thailand for our last four weeks exploring the islands. It is 9.30 pm and we are off to bed as we are knackered after a 7 hour round trip on the minibus. So goodnight everyone. Next stop Bangkok.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0192s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb