Kanchaburi


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
July 19th 2008
Published: July 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 4 in Thailand


Our guesthouse in Kanchanaburi is on the River Kwai! It's very simple and when a boat goes past the house shakes. We make the decision to put the mosquito nets up for the first time tonight as you can see through the cracks in the floorboard.
After lunch the group all climb aboard a longtailed speed boat to cruise up and down the river kwai and stop at various points. This is a fun and fast way to travel! First stop was the war museum which was in a recreation of a POW bamboo hut. Very sad and eerie looking at paintings done by the people involved in building the Bridge over the River Kwai and a recreation of the bomb that ripped it apart.
Then we stopped at a cave and wandered around inside there were lots of budda's and shrines. And Bats. The massive war cemetry was next we only wandered around for about 15 mins, this had an air of sadness too as some of the bodies had never been identified.
Finally we go to the famous Bridge over The River Kwai. We only get halfway as its busy and the fear of a train coming along was too much. Basically you have to just jump to the side to let the trains past hopefully you get to stand on a steel part if not the wooden slats wobble.
We had dinner the early night, after a cockroach sighting in the room we cocoon ourselves in our mosquito nets throw some lavender and deet about and sleep in the same position all night.


Day 5 in Thailand


We visit the Erawan Waterfall and go up to the 7th tier which is a hot an sweaty mission. But lovely views. Meet some monkeys on the way with their babies - very cute.
Visited the night market, they sell puppies and cats here they are so cute but all squished into tiny cages. Thailand we ahve discovered is riddled with stray cats and dogs. Possibly more than humans!
Had some drinks tonight so we wouldnt worry about the roaches but never got drunk as the bar was a farce and was taking too long to serve us!




Additional photos below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



19th July 2008

lookin good
ur pics are gr8 hollie...im so so jealous !!!! like the monkees and waterfalls... Be good love to jenny wren xxx

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb