The ancient city and ex capital of Siam


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ayutthaya
July 19th 2008
Published: July 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 6 in Thailand
We travel by bus to Ayutthaya where we have a day room. We travel by Songtaew to vist Wat Yai Chai Mongkoi where we see the Vistory Stupa of Great King, a huge reclining Budda and a freaky real looking wax statue of a famous onk. Our guide is cool and we learn about buddism and what Ayutthaya was like when it was powerful then its fall after the war with Burma. We visit Wat Mahathat where the famouse Budda's head is growing in the tree roots. This is impressive as we thought it would be carved in, but we learned that during the days when this site was not protected, Thai's would come and steal the Budda statues and sell them as antiques - most of the Budda's are missing heads in these sites. One Budda head had been cut off and left on the ground, a tree had grown around it and the head is safely inside the roots. We get our pic taken beside but have to crouch down as its illegal to be higher than a Budda.
Ayutthaya is a stunning city full of history, you could spend days here. The heavens open as we approach Sar's favourite temple so we admire for inside our songtaew.
We pick up a takeaway sandwich to have for tea as tonight we board the overnight train to Chiangmai.
Suitably impressed by the overnight train although the toilet is a bit rank as you can only go while the train is moving so it can fall onto the track. Nice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb