Back again


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Kanchanaburi
January 15th 2008
Published: January 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our homeOur homeOur home

Blue Star Guest house in Kanchanaburi
So, that was fun. It's Dave again with new crown all set. Ahhh...
Where were we? I don't think I mentioned even where we were! We trained North from Bangkok and ended in Kanchanaburi, on the River Kwai. It's a big city but there's a little strip filled with gnarly little bars and eateries that is frequented by backpackers. That end of it seems fairly quaint and almost small-town. After half a day we knew some locals and were a 'regular' for a store or two and the local chill-out folks. Nice people, once again, abound. Our guest-house was a wooden shack on stilts with thatched roof and slightly separate no-flush-cold-shower bathroom. It was cool and breezy in the eve, even a hint of chill one night! DELIGHTFUL manager named Nong- very well connected, good English, always happy.
The little part of town was one place in the mornings, it changed during the day, and was far different at night. Each was fun in it's own way. I stumbled upon a used bookstore/bar (according to the owner the 1st used bookstore in town) and sat for a beverage one night. After about ten minutes we realized we were 5
Dining on the River KwaiDining on the River KwaiDining on the River Kwai

Decent food, but floating on the river can't be beat!
U.S. Vets and 1 British Vet, so we bonded and swapped stories for hours. Very nice.
Oh, after visiting the Tiger Temple we enjoyed side-by-side in-room massages and then went to a restaurant that had been closed the first two times we tried to go. WOW was it good! It was the best food we've eaten so far on the trip. Each item was fresh and cooked to perfection, we dined by a wee garden, the service was smiley and attentive, and almost evey guest was farang (tourist)! Apparently catering to Western tastes is quite effective on us!! It was traditional food, an ex-ten-sive menu, and slightly pricey (well under $20 US for us both to dine like royalty). We'd go every day if it were close.
Time for another experiment for me- uploading pics. Wish me skill.
Well, that was easy. Heather is back so we're off to another adventure. Tonight we visit with Aunt Riki for a bit then take an overnighter train south. We've decided to try out Koh Tao and then Koh Pha-Ngan. Two islands in the Gulf of Thailand. Mmmmm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

So prettySo pretty
So pretty

Heather heading toward the River Kwai. Exotic birds, flowers, and fish.
Our breakfast nookOur breakfast nook
Our breakfast nook

Great American-style (almost) breakfasts at our guesthouse.
Powerful beings...Powerful beings...
Powerful beings...

This kitten liked my attention. Such immense, patient energy they have.


17th January 2008

Great Vacation!
Looks incredible!! We wish you the best for the next 2,000 years. Love, Pa

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb