Day 6 - Kanchanaburi the Jungle


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Western Thailand » Erawan NP
January 27th 2007
Published: January 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

08:00 and and we are up and about already. Fresh faced and bushy tailed all ready for an adventure in the jungle.

Our very own personal guide met us at our reception with a taxi ticking over and waiting eager to take us on our trek, which was almost two hours away but two hours through some lovely countryside with amazing backdrops of mountains on either side.

Once we arrived in the jungle at a village called Karen village our guide offered us a coffee before we started the two hour trek through semi-dense jungle, even though you could see many people had been along this well worn path it was still very hard going with our guides come sherpas hacking down the undergrowth as we pushed forwards. We were shown many creatures whilst trekking and were also shown how to survive in the jungle by getting water from certain trees and what roots we could or couldn't eat. But Tess was ok she had a packet of crisps and a bottle of water, well three bottles but no beer for me as I heard drinking real ale and eating Marmite keeps the mosquitoes away so I had to stick to good old sprays.

After about two hours or so trekking we stopped at a lovely spot next to a waterfall where we had lunch prepared for us, lunch was more water plus fresh watermelon and pineapple which we munched on thinking that was our dinner we were surprised when they brought over sticky rice in bamboo and BBQ chicken, all very tasty with our feet dangling in the cool water. Then our guide showed us how to make traps with rope made from bark from trees and pieces of bamboo fashioned in to spring type traps, so we will be able to catch the squirrels in our garden once we get home, and pigeons, ho what fun to be had.

The best was yet to come, whilst walking along a jungle path we saw an elephant hiding in the undergrowth thinking nothing of it an watching it plonder towards us it was only when it got to us we released it was our ride.

Its not easy getting on to an elephant specially one with other ideas like eating but we did it and the trip aboard it was one to remember until senile dimenture sets in. The gentle swaying motion as it makes its way through the jungle is very relaxing even when it goes through water and thinks its a good idea to splash with its feet and trunk, not that we minded as it was hot.

After about an hour on the elephant we arrived at our next little jungle adventure. White water rafting down, the jungle rapids. Oops sorry we took a bamboo raft along a stream, a little like punting along the river Cam, back to Karen village with me at the front one of our guides at the back and Tess acting like royalty sitting in the middle waving to all and sundry. Saying faster and where's my long island ice tea, no change there.

Once the rafting was done we piled back in to the taxi and spent half hour soaking at the hot springs about twenty minutes away.

Be warned if you're a woman and you want to go here don't wear a bikini as you will more than likely be the only one, and having a hundred Thais looking at you in a displeasing manner wouldn't go down to well, so Tess ended up sitting by the side fully clothed dangling here feet in getting a wet bum whilst I flitted from the hot pool to the warm then the cold and then repeat.

Today in all honesty has got to be one of the best adventures anyone can have in Thailand and at about fifty-five pounds for the two of us and the whole thing lasting for about eleven hours I would give it 10/10

Back at kanchanabur and its the weekend and also the holiday season for the Thais so thousand have migrated down here to celebrate the kings 60 years on the throne so Saturday night was spent hearing motorbikes of all descriptions parading up and down the main road. Some are quite a sight to see, Thai rockers on big Harleys with there Thai biker birds on the back wearing not a lot but tattoos and a micro skirt. Quite a few of the bike, Jeeps and cars going down the road seemed to be American imports owned by wealthy Thai kids coming down to have some fun, saying kanchanabur is a bit like Blackpool is a bit strong but the road we are staying on certainly seems it. Specialy with a tattoo parlor next door to us. But once you walk through our small complex you are down by the river Kwai. I know I have splet it Kwae sometimes that because they spell it like that over here. And its spelt Kwai in England.. But back to the river. It is nice just sitting down by the river watching the wildlife passing the time of day.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb