Hat Yai & Sleeper Train to Kuala Lumpur


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Southern Thailand » Hat Yai
May 2nd 2008
Published: May 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

13 - 15th March

We got a bus early in the morning on the 13th to take us to Trang and then onto Hat Yai. To get off of Lanta by car you have to go on the car ferry. With that and the other crowds it can take a long time. We were picked up at 7.30am and by the time the van was full and we were on our way it was 8.20. Onto the first car ferry and across onto Lanta Nok the northern Island then we queued for ages to get onto the next car ferry over to the mainland. We finally arrived in Trang at just after 12pm. The next van we had to get was from Trang to Hat Yai, After getting that and finally on our way we got to Hat yai about 3pm. We eventually found the guesthouse I had seen in the SEA shoestring called Louise Guesthouse. it was about 500 meters from Hat yai station so ideal. It was only 350 bahts a night for a double room, it was a big room but the sheets looked very grim, but hey it was for one night. We went for a wander around.. Not an excessive amount about its like a tiny part of Bangkok, next to our guesthouse was a shopping centre called Robinsons really it was like a Debenhams. a few streets away we found a night market area and another shopping centre with Mc D's, Burger King, Pizza hut etc. so it kept us busy for the afternoon/evening. The next morning we checked out and again had another wander around before heading to get the train. At about 2pm we grabbed our bags and headed over to the station to find our train to Kuala Lumpur. It took asking 3 people with them just pointing in a direction before finally found it didnt realise we would have to climb across the tracks and then onto some piled up wooden sleepers to get onto the train great fun with your back pack on !!!. We found our designated beds for our trip and locked up our bags. Me and matt were on the upper bunks as it was all I could get but they were more comfortable and roomy than the train to chiang mai. We finally set off about 3.30pm and about 4.30pm we hit the border of malaysia (padang besar) we had to get off the train and go through thai customs to get our exit stamp, then walk round the corner to come through malaysian customs and get your visa entrance stamp. When we returned to the platform we had to wait for the train to come back which then had a further 5 carriages attached. back on the train it was for another 13 hours.

The trip seemed to go relatively fast and I managed to get some sleep (I think). At about 6am we arrived in Kuala Lumpur.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The train for Kuala LumpurThe train for Kuala Lumpur
The train for Kuala Lumpur

This side had a platform, we got on the other side climbing on wooden sleepers
Me on my bunkMe on my bunk
Me on my bunk

Check out that tan !!!


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb