Phuket - Take 2


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Phuket
November 2nd 2010
Published: November 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi Guys,

Phuket - Patong - Take 2

It was great to go back to Phuket again to visit Johnny and Da ( Steve's brother and partner )

Our visa for Thailand was for 30 days and because we left Cambodia rather quickly it meant we were only going to have 3 days with Papa John and Uncle Chris. So a trip to the embassy to beg to stay longer was a must. Well to be honest there was no begging. 7 day extension at a fee of £40 each easy, 10 minutes and sorted. Worth every penny!

The rain was still coming down by the bucket load. We spent 4 lovely nights with Johnny and Da before we moved to a nice hotel to make room for Steve's Dad and Uncle Chris to visit. The timing was great for us all to be together! John and Chris must have packed the sunshine in their suitcase because finally the sun came out.

The first day we visited Kata beach, beautiful sunshine, the waves quite choppy so we mess around in the shallow white water but because things are never dull with The Pattersons! Steve and I
Off to Bangla roadOff to Bangla roadOff to Bangla road

Brotherly love
were catching the rays while Johnny went in for a dip and because Johnny went a couple of strokes further than we had been previous he got caught in the rip. Steve and I ran to help out, the rip was fierce pulling you straight out to sea. For a few seconds I thought we were all going to be stuck in it. Thankfully Steve had the strongest arm to pull Johnny back in. Well done!!!

Now I mention this because we are 2 lifeguards and Johnny is a really strong swimmer and it was hard work for us 3 to get back in. The rip currents on Kata and Karon beach are very deceiving and so catch people unaware. A few days later on Karon beach we watched about 6 rescues within the space of a hour. People were not to far out maybe about waist depth and then whisked away in the rip. Thankfully the lifeguards were armed with surfboards to get these guys quickly and get them back to safety. It certainly wasn't happy sunbathing for Steve and I, we were on red alert! The beaches have red flags up ( for no swimming ) but
Off to Bangla roadOff to Bangla roadOff to Bangla road

with the outlaws
nobody seems to take any notice and the lifeguards mustn't have the authority to say no swimming so it makes for a dangerous place to be! After the first incident on the beach we are now the owner of a rescue rope ( with a monkey's fist to weight it, thanks to Uncle Chris) in our beach bag.

The Clampets day out, oops I mean The Pattersons fishing trip.

What a brilliant day. The 6 of us climbed aboard a beatiful 50ft boat and sailed for a couple of hours in the blazing sunshine. We each caught our share of fish and then stopped for lunch while we snorkelled the guys on board cooked up the fish and some rice for a lovely lunch. The water we swam in was the clearest blue, you could see the white sand bed at about 20ft depth, there was lots of fish to see and the coral was amazing!
After lunch we sailed back caught more fish and me the novice caught the biggest one woohoo, if only I had a bet on with the guys chuckle, chuckle!!!

Johnny and Da the perfect hosts and both a whizz in the kitcken. The best meals in Thailand go to them. Thank You so much.

We have spent near on two weeks in Patong, it has gone over in a flash! It has been good fun and has been great to share it with Johnny, Da, Papa John and Uncle Chris.

We are now in Malaysia on the Island of Langkawi and it had taken me 2 days to get over the Thailand blues.





Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

KataKata
Kata

David Hasseloff eat your heart out!


3rd November 2010

Luvin The Slummin
Great to read about your travels Guys, and I love the photos. Well done on winning the fishing Kaz, I thought you would, after all Gaz normally out fishes Paddy when they go!! Keep up the slummin Paddy, you are getting good at it. Speak soon.
3rd November 2010

Another good write up, have fun in Malaysia!
3rd November 2010

brill
lovely write up kaz ! great pics to match. looks a beautiful place . so when do you see the skanky parts of town then ? hehe x
3rd November 2010

stunning
Superb write up Kaz , excellent photos , you guys are looking great paddy you look so at home in the sea , lol looking forward to the next one , have fun , your both missed loads by all.

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb